Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Left C;77956 said:
It sure has filled out very nicely. It is certainly gorgeous!!!

Thanks sir! I think the extra EI will help. Thanks for pointing that out.

I really wish you all could see it....is much nicer in person IMO...

Funny how that is one of the first things I advise others NOT to overlook lol

You can tell I am pleased as it is now my avatar pic (replacing the 180 pic) as well as a new album in my signature. It is also now my desktop background :)

Thanks Tom for a great scape! I think the gardening is going well and should be better starting today.

I did a 80% water change earlier today. I then dosed 4 tsp of Kn03 and 4 tsp of k2s04. I will do about 2 tsps of csmb later. 100 mls of excel daily.

Then for the NEXT 5 days, DAILY I will dose 1-1.5 tsp of each macro and the micro a few hours later.

I will restart the cycle on Sunday with another large water change and extra heavy dosing.

I think in 10-14 days will see a nice difference. I will have pics so we can see and guage!

Later!

I'll do this for several weeks and see, but I think it will help a lot. I take good care of the tank mostly but I forget to water column dose a lot...duh!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Video with actual fish :)

[video=youtube;vRKZANoO4Vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKZANoO4Vk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
jerrybforl;77971 said:
Gerry it's crazy how fast that S.repens grew in just beside the bylxa. Tank is looking amazing! Did you pull the trigger on the ATIs?

Hey JJ,

Thanks for the compliment....It did grow fast, but take a look at the blyxa itself. It is looming over it now as I said it would. That hole from where we took two plants for you? Gone :) The blyxa needs to be trimmed starting this week to keep it in check or it will take over. I have seen it before....

Not yet on the ATI fixtures. The tank is doing well as is and the new lights are a luxury buy...Also, I still need to replace my LR TV, remember? So, that is a higher priority ATM... while I was out shopping before, I did replace my 19" BR tv with a new 32 LED from Samsung...very nice. I may go from a 50" to a 55-60" for the LR...Hopefully next time you come up the tank will look better (the coffeefolia!) and I will have many more pencil fish as well..plus a new LR TV so we can watch the game at the same time...

Thanks again for sharing an interest....

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Well I'm very glad that it is finally looking the way you want!. I hear ya on the lights. I'm still fooling with your PAR meter and trying to get my current lights to where I would like them. It's mostly the CF that I'm trying to solve.

The blyxa looks amazing. If you wouldn't mind during the trimming, could you send a few my way..:) I had to lower my light on my 29 gallon and the DW in it is about 2in sticking out. I tested the PAR and it was mid 40s at 4in above. When I lowered it, mid 70s. So I tried to move it without messing up the scape and :rolleyes: I did lol. So tomorrow I will redo the scape with the DW going below the surface of the water.

Sorry to rattle about my tank on your thread for the moment. Your massive skoal of rummies got me jealous lol! So I've decided that I will get a skoal of my own hehehe.

Did you get all the new coffefolia in? Have you seen any improvement on them since you started ferting more?

It's very odd that they are just rotting off at the bottom like that. I have all kinds of anubias and never had that problem. I hope the extra ferts solve the issue for you.

As far as the lights go, you are very correct. You have a very nice light and it seems to work great for you. They run on different ballasts rights? I'm not sure how your light works, but couldn't you just dial down to give you the effect you want with the dusk/ dawn?

I have two 8 x55/65 watt CF fixtures on my 100 gallon. One turns on with the CO2 and its not terribly bright. Also, I'm sure you get a decent amount of ambiant lighting from your sliding glass doors. Shouldn't that start to get them warmed up per say for the fixture turning on? I have a big window that's not direct and my fish don't seem to be startled.

Gerry some how I think you will solve your problems. You're a dedicated father to your fish hehehe....

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Wow, the recent photos are great. Everything is growing in very nicely. As your tank matures it is becoming apparent more and more, that you have things well under control. You can definitely see the stark difference between the photos you posted in the beginning and now.

Way to go Gerry! [attachment=970:name]

Dan

proud.gif

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
jerrybforl;77981 said:
Well I'm very glad that it is finally looking the way you want!.

Hey JJ,

You think YOU are glad??? :) It was always the PLANT GROWTH that I was unhappy with, never the scape or tank itself...

jerrybforl;77981 said:
The blyxa looks amazing. If you wouldn't mind during the trimming, could you send a few my way..:) Did you get all the new coffefolia in? Have you seen any improvement on them since you started ferting more? It's very odd that they are just rotting off at the bottom like that. I have all kinds of anubias and never had that problem. I hope the extra ferts solve the issue for you....

Yes, blyxa is very nice and I was hoping it would do well for me. It has in the past with similar conditions. Good to know the 'desert' can support plant life, after the downoi debacle :) All the new stuff is in and some of it was lost...I just started the new fert regime yesterday, so we will see in 2-3 weeks... I never had this problem either, and I have kept many anubias over the years in many types of conditions.

You can have as much as you want as in another 1-2 weeks I will be overrun with it...

jerrybforl;77981 said:
As far as the lights go, you are very correct. You have a very nice light and it seems to work great for you. They run on different ballasts rights? I'm not sure how your light works, but couldn't you just dial down to give you the effect you want with the dusk/ dawn?

The light has two ballasts, one that runs 8x39w and the other runs 4x39w. They are NOT dimmable at all and all bulbs need to be present for it to work, so the ATI is MUCH more flexible in terms of lighting intensity and effects.

jerrybforl;77981 said:
Gerry some how I think you will solve your problems. You're a dedicated father to your fish hehehe....

Thanks, but it is NOT the fish that are struggling...it is one species of plant....

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
External NW pump installed

Hey all,

I finally swapped my INTERNAL Rio 1000 DIY NW pump for an Eheim 1103 pinwheel type pump that is external...

Seems fine so far in terms of flow and no leaks :)

Will compare ph readings and plant growth and see what I get..I left the bubble rate the same...

Have to say that I am THRILLED with the removal of this pump. While covered with plants, it just took space on the wall and clearly was not part of the scape :) Much cleaner now from the main veiw and that end view is less obstructed as well :) Much nicer w/o the power cord and c02 line going over the wall...

Really really opens up that side and makes a huge difference not having it there. I forgot that when I had removed the other internal NW a few weeks back, the one that emptied the tank? Remember that one?

I will use the java fern that hid it somewhere else I am sure...like around the canister tubes...

Just need to hide or better place the MP40 now and that will be it for visible hardware...

Better bit by bit....

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
dantra;77986 said:
Wow, the recent photos are great. Everything is growing in very nicely. As your tank matures it is becoming apparent more and more, that you have things well under control. You can definitely see the stark difference between the photos you posted in the beginning and now. Way to go Gerry! Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the nice words and compliments...yes, the gardening is finally starting to really come around and show off Tom's design...

I shudder when I look at older pics, but is good to see the progression...

It is really all c02 and has been. The other thing is that for me at least, there is a big difference in a > 125 gallon tank and the more normal size < 75 gallon tanks.. A bit harder to supply c02 for me than it will be in my new 57 gal...well, I hope anyway :)

Thanks!

By summer, I may submit in the 'Advanced Scape' forum :) Maybe somewhere down the road I will win a Tank of the Month (TOTM) award..

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

Well I think that it may be the end soon of my relationship with Anubias coffeefolia :)

Just doesn't seem to want to grow well for me.

Just scooped 15 new leaves (all less than 2-3 weeks old) from the tank. Many had PERFECT COLOR AND FORM of the leaf along with decent size indicating growth, but the leaf just fell away from the rhizome and the rhizomes are mush.

I see MANY plants with new leaves on a daily basis, but cannot seem to sustain them. They are RIGHT IN FRONT of the c02 and receive the most from what I can see.

I find it hard to accept but I will, that conditions are good to grow new leaves up to a certain age, and no further...Makes no sense to me, and not all plants suffer, but too many do.

EVERY OTHER SPECIES of plant in the tank is doing VERY WELL after a slow start.

So, I removed the petite the other day (same issue as the coffee), and replaced with stauro for now. I trimmed and kept the best of the petite and is now draped in the right tree to see if that position helps at all..

I will give the coffee another 7-10 days to see if there is an real and sustained improvement.

Otherwise, I will put something else there and try again some other time. Tired of stressing out over every floating and perfect leaf. New growth does well, than bam. Melts and that's it. But while it is melting, it is also putting forth NEW LEAVES!

I am stumped honestly. Other species grow well IMMEDIATELY if placed in these same spots and no other species has such issues.

Not really looking for suggestions, as even if it is C02, as Tom suspects, I am just tired of trying to provide enough c02 for one stupid species, no matter how attractive. I have many other species doing well in the tank that can replace it. Not as well, but too f*****n bad.

I have played with flow, c02, EI dosing, placement in the tank, etc. I am almost over it...

If it goes, I will play around with other stuff and see....maybe another try with downoi lol Many species can look good in that area I think...I remember feeling the same way when the downoi would not grow...I felt SO much better when I replace it with blyxa and stauro, both of which are threatening to take over...

I love the look of the plant, but is not worth the stress of trying to maintain it..I have spent way too much time, money, and effort on it already. I waited too long with the downoi as well and should have repaced it sooner, but I am stubborn (or stupid) that way. The gain no longer seems worth the effort.

While I would love to figure it out, 4 months, is way too long I think. Is just not worth it...

Thanks for listening :) I feel much better!!!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
If you wouldn't mind during the trimming, could you send a few my way

Hey JJ,

I can supply you now :) Anytime you come up in the next week or two should see you leave with plenty. I can see that it grows really well and seems established, so I can just keep a few stems and let them fill in again...

It did well for me in my 180 and is doing well again. Very nice plant, but weedy as heck...but, is why I do it right?

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Hey Gerry,

That's great! Maybe Thursday? I have lab and it ends around 4:30. I could drive up after that and mabye, if you want, play some ball.

Well I think that it may be the end soon of my relationship with Anubias coffeefolia
...Sorry to hear that! It's such a beautiful looking plant and sad that it doesn't do well for you.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
jerrybforl;78177 said:
Hey Gerry,

That's great! Maybe Thursday? I have lab and it ends around 4:30. I could drive up after that and mabye, if you want, play some ball.

...Sorry to hear that! It's such a beautiful looking plant and sad that it doesn't do well for you.

Hey JJ,

Thursday I am planning to have Henry deliver my new tank and stand along with a filter and PH...

So, not sure when he is coming but would like to pass on bball at least until I work out when he will be here. If late, then we play :)

Would be nice to have you here when he delivers. Not to help carry it in although that would be nice...LOL

Just to check it out, etc. Be nice to discuss scape ideas with both Henry and you...I bet he brings the wife and kid :)

As per the coffeefolia, I am almost over it. I want it to do well and will continue to work with whatever remains and hope that conditions improve over time. I assume something is wrong with my co2 delivery or amount/stability...

So, will place something else there for now. I am thinking lobelia cardinalis might look good there...doesn't get too tall and has a nice leaf shape...

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
No problem Gerry! I don't mind helping to move something. After all the cool stuff you've given me and the use of your PAR meter, I don't mind one bit! :)

I am thinking lobelia cardinalis might look good there
...very nice plant! It would look great for you and should do very well I would imagine. Can't wait...

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Well, I should get my new pencils tomorrow, but unfortunately the order will be about 55-60% of that requested. Rachel got shorted by here supplier, so not her issue...She feels confident she can get more...

So....100 will be coming....instead of the promised 180...

Actually I don't mind much. It gives me a chance to check them out and let the bio filter build up for 2-3 weeks before introducing more as Rachel will QT for 2 weeks. Also gives me a chance to guage the size of the shoal, and if in fact I need more...

They are small fish so not a huge bioload themselves, but 200 adds up a bit. Also, I want them to not be crowded either.....

Will post some pics once they adapt a bit....

I will leave the c02 OFF tomorrow and reduce the light to 4x39w. This will help them adapt w/o having to deal with c02 and higher light. It will just be a cloudy day for the tank... Even 24 hours to adapt will help them a lot....

I need to trim the plants but let them overgrow a bit for extra hiding spots :)

Later.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

Pencils and 30 amanos showed up today around 12:30 pm...I had to go to work so I just unpacked and they are acclimating by bucket now...

Steps. No quarantine which I do advise.

1. Put fish from each bag in a single large bucket. Remove some of this water so there is more room in the bucket.
2. Check and remove any DOA.
3. Add some floating plants for comfort.
4. After 5 minutes add a small pct of the bucket volume to the bucket from the main tank.
5. Every 10 minutes add a bit more main tank water to the bucket.

After 1-2 hours of this they should be acclimated to the tank water as the original water has been diluted or replaced for the most part. I will then simply lower the bucket into the main tank and let the fish flow out gently. I trust Rachel and her counts, and I could see the # per bag X the # of bags.....lol

This has worked well for me in the past. Not a drip method, but somewhat better than floating the bags in the main tank for 15 minutes and then releasing them....

Will keep you posted.

Very excited to get these fish.....

Looks to be about 100 or more pencils...They are small but look good, just like the others....Only 1 DOA atm...

Will keep you posted.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Fish!

Hey all,

Well I introduced the 100 or so diptails about 20 minutes ago and they are already colored up nicely....Nice brown body and the golden bar is very visible.... they average about a 1/2" and are pencil thin if you will forgive the phrase...

I think it helped that they saw others of their species in the tank already shoaling and acting normally....You can only tell them apart by size, as I have had mine now for 4-5 weeks iirc..

They hid for a few minutes in the plants but are emerging now in larger and larger groups...I see some large shoals gathering now.....:)

I think another 50-100 max will do it for the tank. Then just a small pair or two of dwarf cichlids of some type that will NOT totally eliminate my fire shrimp collection :)

The tank is really starting to come into it's own now...The tiger lotus are just gorgeous and the overall growth is excellent...No algae, etc.

I went through the remaining coffeefolia with a vengence and tossed anything that was doing the rotting thing....I moved a lot of it to another part of the tank where some others of the species are doing better, so we will hope and see.

I placed some Blyxa there temporarily to take up the space until I figure out what to really place there. Blyxa does look good there though...I also purchased a small group of an actual stem plant that will be a surprise until it grows out a bit. I only have about 6 stems of it and I hope it does well. I think it looks good where placed and will look nicer once I can trim and shape it...

The rummies are also very healthy and doing well.

Well, back off to stare at it all some more :)

Needless to say I am thrilled with how it looks right now...and I know it can only get better...

Later!

Status
Not open for further replies.