This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Needle Wheel And Reactor

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by deucebiggss, Sep 9, 2009.

1. deucebiggss

deucebiggss Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:10 AM
    I have been contimplating on what I want to do for CO2 going into my tank. I think I am going to use a Eheim needle wheel and a DIY reactor with seperate inflow and outtake pipe. 75 gallon tank with pressurized CO2. Any thoughts?

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Details

Pressurized or diy (both?) CO2, the needle wheel reactor can be effective.:)

Can you give more color?

Biollante

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you're headed mid light or less, reactor. Higher light, I tend to encourage needle wheel.

One thing I've found important to planted tanks is to have multiple directions of flow; something that oscillates the current. If you can get CO2 going in multiple directions, all the better, but if you can just disturb the prevailing current then that's good too. I find it greatly reduces the amount of mulm/detritus that builds up in the tank.

-Philosophos

4. deucebiggss

Local Time:
    I am going to connect the pressurized CO2 to the NW and then to the DIY Reactor that someone is making me, then Co2 + H2O goes to into the tank. Thats the plan anyway. I have a CO2 tank w/ regulator the rest is being made for me.

5. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Good Plan!

Hi,

I think you have it covered.

Are you using a second pump or a loop off the filter?

From here, it is a matter of efficiency of design, execution, precision of your needle valve and tank circulation.:)

Is this a new or existing tank?

Biollante

6. deucebiggss

Local Time:
    It will be seperate from the Filter for maintenance reasons and it will just be easier for me with it being seperate. Yes, I will have a Eheim NW pump to handle the job.

7. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Is this A New Set Up?

May I inquire as to the size of or which Eheim pump?

I like keeping the functions separate.;)

Biollante

8. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I'm looking at doing something similar, at the moment in my 100g I just have a reactor (an AM1000), but I am overwhelming it somewhat.

So, based on advice from the helpful guys on here, I am going to split my CO2 flow - I will put as much into the AM1000 as I can, and re-direct any extra gas to a dedicated powerhead in my tank that can mist the gas. I will start off with a reglular powerhead impeller and see how I go, not sure if I will need to use a needlewheel impellor or not yet.

It's good that you're focussing on the CO2. Definitely where the time investment needs to be spent.

Scott.

9. deucebiggss

Local Time:
    This is my last piece to the tank besides plants and fish. I have been racking my brain over this CO2 setup as to how I am going to mix it. And I know what I am going to do, so I am finally at ease.

10. deucebiggss

Local Time:
  11. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Really Kind Of Nosy!

Hi,

That is an excellent choice and plenty of power should you wish to loop off and provide extra circulation or decide on additional reactors/diffusion devices.

Well you have what sounds like a great set up so dish the details...;)

It's not that I'm nosy!:eek: Well, okay maybe I am, but, this is interesting.:rolleyes:

Biollante