Needle Wheel And Reactor

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
I have been contimplating on what I want to do for CO2 going into my tank. I think I am going to use a Eheim needle wheel and a DIY reactor with seperate inflow and outtake pipe. 75 gallon tank with pressurized CO2. Any thoughts?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Details

deucebiggss;40620 said:
I have been contimplating on what I want to do for CO2 going into my tank. I think I am going to use a Eheim needle wheel and a DIY reactor with seperate inflow and outtake pipe. 75 gallon tank with pressurized CO2. Any thoughts?

Pressurized or diy (both?) CO2, the needle wheel reactor can be effective.:)

Can you give more color?

Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
If you're headed mid light or less, reactor. Higher light, I tend to encourage needle wheel.

One thing I've found important to planted tanks is to have multiple directions of flow; something that oscillates the current. If you can get CO2 going in multiple directions, all the better, but if you can just disturb the prevailing current then that's good too. I find it greatly reduces the amount of mulm/detritus that builds up in the tank.

-Philosophos

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
I am going to connect the pressurized CO2 to the NW and then to the DIY Reactor that someone is making me, then Co2 + H2O goes to into the tank. Thats the plan anyway. I have a CO2 tank w/ regulator the rest is being made for me.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Good Plan!

deucebiggss;40626 said:
I am going to connect the pressurized CO2 to the NW and then to the DIY Reactor that someone is making me, then Co2 + H2O goes to into the tank. Thats the plan anyway. I have a CO2 tank w/ regulator the rest is being made for me.

Hi,

I think you have it covered.

Are you using a second pump or a loop off the filter?

From here, it is a matter of efficiency of design, execution, precision of your needle valve and tank circulation.:)

Is this a new or existing tank?

Biollante

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
It will be seperate from the Filter for maintenance reasons and it will just be easier for me with it being seperate. Yes, I will have a Eheim NW pump to handle the job.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Is this A New Set Up?

deucebiggss;40636 said:
It will be seperate from the Filter for maintenance reasons and it will just be easier for me with it being seperate. Yes, I will have a Eheim NW pump to handle the job.

May I inquire as to the size of or which Eheim pump?

I like keeping the functions separate.;)

Biollante

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I'm looking at doing something similar, at the moment in my 100g I just have a reactor (an AM1000), but I am overwhelming it somewhat.

So, based on advice from the helpful guys on here, I am going to split my CO2 flow - I will put as much into the AM1000 as I can, and re-direct any extra gas to a dedicated powerhead in my tank that can mist the gas. I will start off with a reglular powerhead impeller and see how I go, not sure if I will need to use a needlewheel impellor or not yet.

It's good that you're focussing on the CO2. Definitely where the time investment needs to be spent.

Scott.

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
This is my last piece to the tank besides plants and fish. I have been racking my brain over this CO2 setup as to how I am going to mix it. And I know what I am going to do, so I am finally at ease.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Really Kind Of Nosy!

Hi,

That is an excellent choice and plenty of power should you wish to loop off and provide extra circulation or decide on additional reactors/diffusion devices.

Well you have what sounds like a great set up so dish the details...;)

It's not that I'm nosy!:eek: Well, okay maybe I am, but, this is interesting.:rolleyes:

Biollante