This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

How to spread CO2 from diffuser?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by rbass, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rbass

rbass Junior Poster

I just got a ADA beetle diffuser and I mounted in the left front corner opposite
    two spraybars on the right side at the top.Didn`t seem to circulate the CO2
    very well so I put a Rio 200 on the back wall behind the beetle and the CO2
    seems to get spread around the front of the tank about a third of the way down.
    PH has dropped some but not to the controllers setting so CO2 stays on.My
    question is what is the best way to get the CO2 all around the tank using this
    diffuser?Tank is 80g,two cannister filters.
    Thanks,
    Rich B.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

From what I see, it takes quite a bit of water current in the tank to really circulate all of the water to all corners of the tank, which is what is needed to get the CO2 bubbles to go everywhere. I used to use a powerhead for that, and the current was a "water slide" for some of the fish - they either enjoyed it or used it in a macho game to impress the females. Now, I use the powerhead in a Barr Internal Venturi reactor, and I rely on a Magnum 250 filter to circulate the water. The fish are still using the current as a "water slide", but I have to be careful to change the filter element often to keep the flow rate high. Also, I found it really matters how I direct the flow. I keep it so it barely ripples the surface, but aimed to try for a circular flow around the tank and back to the filter inlet. I remain surprised at how resistant the water is to being shoved around where I want it.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

It's best to use two smaller diffusers at each end of the tank and have their own matching Canister filter out flow.

As far as reaching your pH set pioint on the pH controller, you need more CO2 added, the controller will shut it off when the pH gets to the set point.

So you need to turn the needel valve bubble rate faster for now, and then let the pH controller do it's job, if you limit the bubble rate, the diffuser can never match the set point pH on the controller.

You always set the bubble rate higher(some do is slightly, some fairly faster) than you need, so the pH controller can throttle the CO2 within a target range.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Russ

Russ Guest

In my 58g I place my spray bar vertically in the corner and then use a Sweetwater diffuser ($2) at the bottom of the spray bar. I angle the output of the bar against the side of the tank and a little toward the front. The intake is on the other end of the tank and the flow spreads it over more than half the tank.

Try it, you'll like it.:D

-Russ

5. rbass

rbass Junior Poster

I replaced a power reactor I got from Albany Aquarium with the beetle.When I
    had the reactor I had the spraybar from a 2215 mounted vertically by it to help
    with circulation but moved it up by the other spraybar to help with the beetle,as
    noted,not doing much.I had thought about putting the beetle on the rear wall
    and put a powerball I have behind it.That thing has some serious current,maybe
    too much.Due to the cost of the beetle maybe I`ll get a Rhinox to go with it.The
    wife was with me when I bought the beetle and surprisingly didn`t say anything,
    I`m sure that wouldn`t be the case if I got another one.Who knows.I could mount one on each side with it`s own spraybar.
    When I first set up the beetle the hose kept popping off so I assumed I had the
    bubble counter too high and also thought the controller wasn`t being tripped off
    due to poor CO2 circulation.Time to get a second diffuser.
    Thanks,
    Rich B.

6. shane

shane Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I have been wondering how the ADA glass outflow tubes work for circulation in a tank. Anybody have experience with ADA outflow tubes? Can a person use just a ADA tube and no powerheads?