How to spread CO2 from diffuser?

rbass

Junior Poster
Oct 24, 2005
Pinole,Ca.
I just got a ADA beetle diffuser and I mounted in the left front corner opposite
two spraybars on the right side at the top.Didn`t seem to circulate the CO2
very well so I put a Rio 200 on the back wall behind the beetle and the CO2
seems to get spread around the front of the tank about a third of the way down.
PH has dropped some but not to the controllers setting so CO2 stays on.My
question is what is the best way to get the CO2 all around the tank using this
diffuser?Tank is 80g,two cannister filters.
Thanks,
Rich B.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
From what I see, it takes quite a bit of water current in the tank to really circulate all of the water to all corners of the tank, which is what is needed to get the CO2 bubbles to go everywhere. I used to use a powerhead for that, and the current was a "water slide" for some of the fish - they either enjoyed it or used it in a macho game to impress the females. Now, I use the powerhead in a Barr Internal Venturi reactor, and I rely on a Magnum 250 filter to circulate the water. The fish are still using the current as a "water slide", but I have to be careful to change the filter element often to keep the flow rate high. Also, I found it really matters how I direct the flow. I keep it so it barely ripples the surface, but aimed to try for a circular flow around the tank and back to the filter inlet. I remain surprised at how resistant the water is to being shoved around where I want it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's best to use two smaller diffusers at each end of the tank and have their own matching Canister filter out flow.

As far as reaching your pH set pioint on the pH controller, you need more CO2 added, the controller will shut it off when the pH gets to the set point.

So you need to turn the needel valve bubble rate faster for now, and then let the pH controller do it's job, if you limit the bubble rate, the diffuser can never match the set point pH on the controller.

You always set the bubble rate higher(some do is slightly, some fairly faster) than you need, so the pH controller can throttle the CO2 within a target range.

Regards,
Tom Barr

R

Russ

In my 58g I place my spray bar vertically in the corner and then use a Sweetwater diffuser ($2) at the bottom of the spray bar. I angle the output of the bar against the side of the tank and a little toward the front. The intake is on the other end of the tank and the flow spreads it over more than half the tank.

Try it, you'll like it.:D

-Russ

rbass

Junior Poster
Oct 24, 2005
Pinole,Ca.
I replaced a power reactor I got from Albany Aquarium with the beetle.When I
had the reactor I had the spraybar from a 2215 mounted vertically by it to help
with circulation but moved it up by the other spraybar to help with the beetle,as
noted,not doing much.I had thought about putting the beetle on the rear wall
and put a powerball I have behind it.That thing has some serious current,maybe
too much.Due to the cost of the beetle maybe I`ll get a Rhinox to go with it.The
wife was with me when I bought the beetle and surprisingly didn`t say anything,
I`m sure that wouldn`t be the case if I got another one.Who knows.I could mount one on each side with it`s own spraybar.
When I first set up the beetle the hose kept popping off so I assumed I had the
bubble counter too high and also thought the controller wasn`t being tripped off
due to poor CO2 circulation.Time to get a second diffuser.
Thanks,
Rich B.

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
I have been wondering how the ADA glass outflow tubes work for circulation in a tank. Anybody have experience with ADA outflow tubes? Can a person use just a ADA tube and no powerheads?