How much iron to dose?

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Burlington, Massachusetts
I don't have test kit for iron, I have Ferrous Gluconate (powder). How much should i be dosing on 55 gallon planted tank with 130 watts light, and i have lots of swords? Also I have 15 watts UV running 24/7. And also is there any harm overdosing iron? what would be the symptoms of overdosing iron if there is any?
thank you
NN

Last edited by a moderator:

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Good luck ODing the iron. You'll hit non-limiting fast and head right into luxury without any trouble. I do about .75ppm, others do twice that. Keep in mind that you need to add CSM+B to the Fe gluconate levels. Fe gluconate is about 12.46% Fe so add about 8x the weight of the desired level you want. You'll have to talk to someone else about how many g/tsp it is.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd mix about 1 tablespoon of CMS+B and a tsp of Fe Gluconate in1 liter, dose 15mls 3x a week.
Plenty of traces for a 55.

Regards,
Tom Barr

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Burlington, Massachusetts
Tom Barr;51333 said:
I'd mix about 1 tablespoon of CMS+B and a tsp of Fe Gluconate in1 liter, dose 15mls 3x a week.
Plenty of traces for a 55.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I finally ran out of Seacham Traces and Iron, Time to go with CSM+B and Ferrous Gluconate. I will be mixing up the solution as Tom has advised, I read somewhere but I can't find it anymore, it said to add Excel to the solution to preserve it and prevent Fe participation in solution. How Much Excel should I add to the solution?
Regards
NN

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
I know when adding HCL to add it first and allow to sit for 10 minutes to prevent precipitates. I do not know if this practice is necessary when adding Excel, but it couldn't hurt.
Tom Barr;47538 said:
I add about 25 mls per liter.
Not sure if Excel has anything to do with preventing precipitates. This would be the first time hearing that.