This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How much iron to dose?

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by bluedragon, May 28, 2010.

1. bluedragon

bluedragon Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:41 AM
    I don't have test kit for iron, I have Ferrous Gluconate (powder). How much should i be dosing on 55 gallon planted tank with 130 watts light, and i have lots of swords? Also I have 15 watts UV running 24/7. And also is there any harm overdosing iron? what would be the symptoms of overdosing iron if there is any?
    thank you
    NN

#1 bluedragon, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
  2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Good luck ODing the iron. You'll hit non-limiting fast and head right into luxury without any trouble. I do about .75ppm, others do twice that. Keep in mind that you need to add CSM+B to the Fe gluconate levels. Fe gluconate is about 12.46% Fe so add about 8x the weight of the desired level you want. You'll have to talk to someone else about how many g/tsp it is.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd mix about 1 tablespoon of CMS+B and a tsp of Fe Gluconate in1 liter, dose 15mls 3x a week.
    Plenty of traces for a 55.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I dose arround 2.0 ppm iron with csm+b and don't see any overdosing problems with fish or plants

5. bluedragon

Local Time:
    thanks All
    Exactly what I was looking for.
    Regards
    NN

6. bluedragon

Local Time:
    I finally ran out of Seacham Traces and Iron, Time to go with CSM+B and Ferrous Gluconate. I will be mixing up the solution as Tom has advised, I read somewhere but I can't find it anymore, it said to add Excel to the solution to preserve it and prevent Fe participation in solution. How Much Excel should I add to the solution?
    Regards
    NN

7. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I know when adding HCL to add it first and allow to sit for 10 minutes to prevent precipitates. I do not know if this practice is necessary when adding Excel, but it couldn't hurt.
    Not sure if Excel has anything to do with preventing precipitates. This would be the first time hearing that.