Help with Dosing

JasonB

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2006
Hi all,

I'm fairly new and am working on my first planted tank. I just recieved some Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate from Greg Watson's and I'm wondering if I'm using this stuff correctly.

I'm trying to figure out if I can add this stuff directly to my tank and what's the difference in adding it direct or mixing it with some tap water ahead of time.

Yesterday I put 3/4 tspn of Potassium Nitrate and 1/8 tspn of Potassium Phosphate in my tank (directly). Today I put in 15 ml trace and 10 ml Iron and now my water is cloudy (where as before today it was crystal clear). I have a 77 Gallon tank, lots of plants with pressurized CO2 injection going on. Running 300 watts @ 6700k.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

J

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Help with Dosing

The Fe will cause the cloudiness. You likely have harder water.
I'd try TMG it works well in both hard/soft water.

Regards,
Tom Barr

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Doesn't the cloudiness clear up pretty quickly? My CSM+B+Fe does cloud the water locally (were I dump the dose) but within a few minutes it clears up. My water isn't very hard though.

JasonB

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2006

Ok, I found out what TMG is (Tropica Master Grow). Anyone know where I can buy this stuff? I live in Calgary, AB, Canada.

Also, what would be the dosing of this stuff? Does it replace my Iron AND Trace?

My cloudiness is pretty much tank wide and has been like it for several hours now.

Thanks!

J.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Big Al's used to carry it, but I don't see it on their website any longer. It has been renamed by Tropica to something else (?), which you can get from the Tropica website. Then, with the new name a google search might find a Canadian dealer.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

15mls is all that's added for TMG, if you added the CMS and also added Fe along with, there's your issue, the Fe should not be added along with the CMS, CMS already has a lot Fe in it.

Big Al's on line carries it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

JasonB

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2006

Sorry for my ignorance but what's CMS? Better yet, is there an ancronym thread somewhere so I don't have to keep asking :)

Thanks for all your help. I have ordered some TMG from Big Al's Online.

J.

JasonB

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2006

Ahhh. Thanks. I was actually using Seachem Trace (not Flourish) and Seachem Iron. But I've ordered the TMG stuff now. Does this TMG have Iron in it? Will I still have to dose iron?

Thanks for your help,

J.

JasonB

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2006

Big Al's just emailed me and said that Tropica Master Grow has been discontinued but they have Tropica Plant Nutrition. Is this the same basic stuff and should I order that instead of TMG?

Thanks

J.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

JasonB said:
Big Al's just emailed me and said that Tropica Master Grow has been discontinued but they have Tropica Plant Nutrition. Is this the same basic stuff and should I order that instead of TMG?

Thanks

J.
Same stuff, new name. Tropica just added a complete line of plant ferts, so they renamed TMG to be consistent with the other fert names.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA

Does this TMG have Iron in it? Will I still have to dose iron?
TMG has Iron. If you observe deficiency you just need to increase the TMG dose, or you could supplement TMG with a less expensive trace mix (like CSM+B) if so inclined.

DaveMill

Junior Poster
Dec 20, 2005

JasonB said:
Ahhh. Thanks. I was actually using Seachem Trace (not Flourish) and Seachem Iron. But I've ordered the TMG stuff now. Does this TMG have Iron in it? Will I still have to dose iron?

A clarification: Flourish Trace is not what we around here call "trace elements". The Seachem product to use for trace elements is "Flourish."

JasonB

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2006

Happily (I hope) the TMG is what one would consider trace because that's what I've gone and ordered. I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow.

Thanks!

J.