This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Dosing

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by JasonB, Aug 1, 2006.

1. JasonB

JasonB Junior Poster

Hi all,

I'm fairly new and am working on my first planted tank. I just recieved some Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate from Greg Watson's and I'm wondering if I'm using this stuff correctly.

I'm trying to figure out if I can add this stuff directly to my tank and what's the difference in adding it direct or mixing it with some tap water ahead of time.

Yesterday I put 3/4 tspn of Potassium Nitrate and 1/8 tspn of Potassium Phosphate in my tank (directly). Today I put in 15 ml trace and 10 ml Iron and now my water is cloudy (where as before today it was crystal clear). I have a 77 Gallon tank, lots of plants with pressurized CO2 injection going on. Running 300 watts @ 6700k.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

J

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Help with Dosing

The Fe will cause the cloudiness. You likely have harder water.
    I'd try TMG it works well in both hard/soft water.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Doesn't the cloudiness clear up pretty quickly? My CSM+B+Fe does cloud the water locally (were I dump the dose) but within a few minutes it clears up. My water isn't very hard though.

4. JasonB

JasonB Junior Poster

Ok, I found out what TMG is (Tropica Master Grow). Anyone know where I can buy this stuff? I live in Calgary, AB, Canada.

Also, what would be the dosing of this stuff? Does it replace my Iron AND Trace?

My cloudiness is pretty much tank wide and has been like it for several hours now.

Thanks!

J.

5. VaughnH

Lifetime Member

Big Al's used to carry it, but I don't see it on their website any longer. It has been renamed by Tropica to something else (?), which you can get from the Tropica website. Then, with the new name a google search might find a Canadian dealer.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

15mls is all that's added for TMG, if you added the CMS and also added Fe along with, there's your issue, the Fe should not be added along with the CMS, CMS already has a lot Fe in it.

Big Al's on line carries it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. JasonB

JasonB Junior Poster

Sorry for my ignorance but what's CMS? Better yet, is there an ancronym thread somewhere so I don't have to keep asking :)

Thanks for all your help. I have ordered some TMG from Big Al's Online.

J.

8. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

9. JasonB

JasonB Junior Poster

Ahhh. Thanks. I was actually using Seachem Trace (not Flourish) and Seachem Iron. But I've ordered the TMG stuff now. Does this TMG have Iron in it? Will I still have to dose iron?

Thanks for your help,

J.

10. JasonB

JasonB Junior Poster

Big Al's just emailed me and said that Tropica Master Grow has been discontinued but they have Tropica Plant Nutrition. Is this the same basic stuff and should I order that instead of TMG?

Thanks

J.

11. VaughnH

Lifetime Member

Same stuff, new name. Tropica just added a complete line of plant ferts, so they renamed TMG to be consistent with the other fert names.

12. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

TMG has Iron. If you observe deficiency you just need to increase the TMG dose, or you could supplement TMG with a less expensive trace mix (like CSM+B) if so inclined.

13. DaveMill

DaveMill Junior Poster

A clarification: Flourish Trace is not what we around here call "trace elements". The Seachem product to use for trace elements is "Flourish."

14. JasonB

JasonB Junior Poster

Happily (I hope) the TMG is what one would consider trace because that's what I've gone and ordered. I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow.

Thanks!

J.