Will BBA eventually disappear on its own once I have fixed the underlying issue?

arnav03

Mar 16, 2012
Miami, FL
After much research I think that I've fixed the underlying issue of why I was getting BBA/Hair Algae.

I raised my light higher from tank, I added powerheads to improve the circulation in the tank, and I upped my Co2. I think I have it dialed in pretty well now. I've trimmed off as much of it as I could have but a little remains, particularly on the hardscape.

My question is whether the algae will eventually disappear on its own without spot treating it with Excel, or is it a necessity to spot treat it with Excel?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Oxygen & The Toothbrush of Death

Hi,

Welcome, I wish I had more encouraging words for you.
:eek:

Excel is not particularly effective against BBA. Hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush (make sure your significant other doesn’t catch you
:eek:) are the most effective.:)

These are red algae and generally, you have to remove the stuff physically.
:gw

Even when it dies, it hangs on.
:eek-new:

Generally consider any infected leaves lost.
:( My guess is if you waited long enough the plants might repair themselves.

Biollante

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Excel/glutaraldehyde works well. Turns the BBA nice and pink, then gray, then gone. Haven't tried H2O2.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

IME, Excel works as Matt F describes. That said, I have gone thru many a toothbrush as well...

I manually scrape, brush off as much as possible. Then spray/brush apply locally with excel. More water changes, more brushing. A little less excel and then gone....

Until next time....bwah ha ha...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can do more repeats with H2O2 and it is cheaper than Excel also.
Less toxic, over time than Excel also.

Both can kill livestock and burn leaves if not careful.

arnav03

Mar 16, 2012
Miami, FL
I've been attacking it with H2O2 for a few weeks and I have noticed a considerable difference. The BBA went from red to pink to grey to DEAD! And I only spent $2 and change.

I have been doing three doses of 15mls throughout the day injected directly on to the BBA (40 gallon tank). One in the morning, one when I would get home from work, and one right before bed.

Also, I have noticed that my plant growth has drastically improved and the plant color is more vibrant. When I had the outbreak plant growth was practically stunted and the color of the leaves were dull.

I really appreciate everyone's advise. You guys are great!