Starting a new Aquascape progress thread opinions welcome.

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
Going to be starting a build and figured I would share..in hopes that I will receive some constructive criticism , Lord knows I need it I am in no way an expert and very new to the whole planted tank scene.My inspiration for this build is Tom's 120, ever since I saw that tank I just loved all the colors and well thought out arrangement of plants. Figured I would take a crack at it.

I have read a lot of his posts (more like all ) watched a lot of Gerry's vids and learned a lot from them and others in the planted tank community.

Hopefully I am in the right place for this thread.I purchased a 4 sided starphire tank from miracles aquarium which I should receive in about a week, I've accumulated all the equipment lights and sediment for when it gets here.

Today I was fooling around with some manzanita I received and figured I would start there figuring out a layout for this new project,

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
I did have cabinet doors installed all the way around on the stand in case I wanted it to be an island stand so maybe I'll fool around and see if come up with a layout that would suit a 360 view. They recommended Maple,is this a good aquarium stand material ?

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
So far you're doing better than most. I'd be a bit concerned about too much light. It just means you need to make absolutely sure that you have a powerful and stable CO2 system. Or else! If tank and lighting are going to be similar to Tom's, make sure the CO2 system, filtration, and flow are similar too.

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Intriguing so far! Would you mind sharing a list of what all bulbs you have there? I see a couple ZM Floras, a UVL red sun....what's that on the top and bottom, and the purple and blues near the center?

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
burr740 said:
Intriguing so far! Would you mind sharing a list of what all bulbs you have there? I see a couple ZM Floras, a UVL red sun....what's that on the top and bottom, and the purple and blues near the center?

Purple one is wave point Red wave, blue ones ate wave point sun wave, the top and bottom ones are giesmann aqua flora.

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
Pikez said:
So far you're doing better than most. I'd be a bit concerned about too much light. It just means you need to make absolutely sure that you have a powerful and stable CO2 system. Or else! If tank and lighting are going to be similar to Tom's, make sure the CO2 system, filtration, and flow are similar too.

Yeah these lights are bright. I have actualy found out exactly what cerges reactor housing, tube diameter,needle wheel rio pump and main pump he had on that tank im thinking the key to have a good ample amout of co2 in the water will have alot to do with water perameters so i went out and got a huge r/o storage tank wich i put a o2 stone and a rio pump in to circulate the water in it 24/7 it is in the process of sterilizing as i type this and i already have 3 bags of barrs gh booster. The kh of my r/o is 1-2 in that area so i am thinking with this water i will be able to absorb more CO2 into my water alittle easier but with less room for error because softbwater changes alot more with little adjustment(now keep in mind im learning and i could be completley wrong ) so im pretty confident im following the right path to make this thing a reality ( hopefully lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

vilenarios

Junior Poster
Jun 29, 2015
Thats some nice mazanita, where did you get it? What kind of aquascape were you going for? I would consider removing the right piece so you have more room for plants.

hitmanx

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2014
I can't believe this... I'm just about to pull the trigger on a build almost exactly like this!

48x30x12h starphire 3 sides from miracles and I will be making it a low tech riparium with tons of emergents...

You literally have the manzanita layed out exactly how I had it in my head too! But with the top of the central stump being above the water...

I was planning for a coast to coast overflow and bean animal and 20-40gal sump...

My lighting will be alot less though. Is that 8 bulb t5s? I was hoping to get away with 2 bulb 36" above substrate ;)

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
vilenarios said:
Thats some nice mazanita, where did you get it? What kind of aquascape were you going for? I would consider removing the right piece so you have more room for plants.

I got the manzanita from Tom he was great and he shipped it super fast very nice pieces

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
hitmanx said:
I can't believe this... I'm just about to pull the trigger on a build almost exactly like this!

48x30x12h starphire 3 sides from miracles and I will be making it a low tech riparium with tons of emergents...

You literally have the manzanita layed out exactly how I had it in my head too! But with the top of the central stump being above the water...

I was planning for a coast to coast overflow and bean animal and 20-40gal sump...

My lighting will be alot less though. Is that 8 bulb t5s? I was hoping to get away with 2 bulb 36" above substrate ;)

Sounds good, I have not recived the tank yet it will ship tommorow.one thing i can say is derek looked over my tank when it was done and notice a seed in the glass and called me and told me they were going to take the panel off and replace it so it took a little longer than expected but i apreciate them wanting to make sure i get what i pay for. Also they were super freindly polite people it was a pleaure working with them. Once in a while they dint respond to email for awhile and some one that is very anxious has to be patient with something like this and understand that they make alot of tanks for a small operation my tank didnt mail out exactly when they said it would but i am pleased that they at least made sure it wouldnt have any flaws. Ill post my thoughts when i recive it as well

Basil Dela Cruz

Junior Poster
Aug 24, 2015
how do you get in touch with Tom, i want to order some driftwood...cant seem to figure it out here. Sorry im new to this forum :/

hitmanx

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2014
Basil Dela Cruz said:
how do you get in touch with Tom, i want to order some driftwood...cant seem to figure it out here. Sorry im new to this forum :/

Give him a private message and he will work something out with you.