Possible to have dream planted tank and without CO2 injection?

Forumsnow

Mar 17, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Good to know, never really thought about stems out competing the hc. The few stems that are there just kinda appeared on their own from the used aqua soil I used. Growth has been much much slower with the rotala than the hc which I thought was pretty interesting. Sorry for the thread derailment.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This si for everyone as well as specific to the original poster:

Diana Walstad was amused with the DSM idea I suggested when we met in Australia. I also suggested a single species so no CO2 competition between species. She has an article about using HC in a non CO2 it here:

http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

This dusko's page on it, a pretty good tech run down, you do not need to know all this, but........at least it is here:)

http://lowlightlowtechplanted.blogspot.com/

This will help on doing cheaper alternatives to ADA aqua soil.
Note: you CAN USE ADA AS successfully, very much so, with a non CO2 method/no Excel etc.
Likewise, you can use plain sand and ADA like scaping methods with non CO2(my example etc).
There are quite a few options, but somethings will cause some headaches, but experience sure helps.
So over time, you can modify things here or there to make such seemingly impossible rules that can be broken.

Still, it can be tougher for a newbie, and if they get frustrated and fail a lot, they quit.
I'd rather hook a few, and not lose any. The CO2 gas is always there if/when they are ready, likewise, getting off the dope, it is always there when you are ready to go non CO2.
Main argument is to get the newbie hooks and succeed with the plants.

Then they can do whatever.

Forumsnow

Mar 17, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
I think the two biggest failures I have seen people have with dsm are rushing to flood and over watering. I waited over 2 months to flood that tank, I think a really developed root system makes all the difference. Plus if it is filled in all the way all you have to do is trim. Most of the dsms I have followed people barely wait a month, the draw to flood and add livestock is to great I guess.

People also miss the dry part of the dry start method. Hc takes very little water to grow. I would spritz the tank once or at most twice a week. I think it is very important to leave enough of the top uncovered too. It allows good gas exchange and makes sure things do not stay to wet. Every time I see people with yellowing hc I know they are over watering.
null_zpsf9b2547e.jpg

Here is 10 gallon cube I am dry starting now. The steeper slope has presented the challenge of keeping the plants at the top of the hill watered without drowning the plants in the front.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
DSM is awesome for the non CO2 crowd. Really helps establishes things before any water is added.
Yes, most have too much humidity and they get rot and fungi.

krazypara3165

Junior Poster
Oct 10, 2013
Tom Barr;115992 said:
That tank you posted will not happen without CO2 enrichment.

A tank like this is possible:

Or my ADA 60 p

f7270730.jpg

Sorry to jump on this thread but that second tank is stunning, exactly what I want to do with my discus display tank. does anyone have a list of what plants they are and how they will fare with my 28 degree water temp?