New tanks from Glasscages.com

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I took delievery of two 60gal cubes, with red oak stands, 120 gal+ stand, 180 gal+ stand from Glass cages.com this sunday and got them inside last night.

Tanks look meaty and strong.
They weigh a lot, bit are well built and over built if anything.

Some of the comments that are negative have been about smaller Acrylic tanks, hence glass cages in their name, but they have not had glass related issues.

I, however, did.
I was hoping to get a jump on things and did not place the stand in first, I figured I'd set the 120 gal on the ottomann, when we did this, the other person, slipped, and the bottom hit the ottoman and the tank bottom broke, fortunately, no one was hurt.

So I'll see if a glass glaizer will fix it and they have a nice template to work from, are good with silicone etc. If not, I'll likely use an ADA 120 Cm tank and see if they get a higher sizing than the 66 gall, that's rimless etc.

Ugh.
But that's life.
Always could have been much worse.

I'm pleased with the good pricing and workman ship of Glasscages, and they will work with you and BTW, they have awesome stands and prices as well.

I cannot say one negative thing about the stands or the shipping cost along their route.

Folks where helpful with unloading it also.

Regards,

Tom Barr

atrixnet

Prolific Poster
Feb 5, 2007
TX, US
Yeah, with that kind of weight and the danger of broken glass in any amount... I'm glad you didn't get slashed. Yikes!

travis

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2006
Our shop purchased a large order of Glass Cages tanks earlier this year (from 55G to 300G) and I can attest to the solidity of their construction. They have some serious reinforcing at both top and bottom and are overbuilt, if anything. While not the prettiest tanks, they are likely to take more hard use and abuse than most other brands.

I'm not sure if they've changed their stands since we received ours but I am not a big fan of their front access panels. The stands we received have a single panel on the front that is not very large and that lifts out using a somewhat crude tongue-and-groove-type join that is not the most user-friendly. Ours were unfinished and, when painted, do not come out very easily at all. Doors would have been much nicer.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
That's why I add my own door hinged:)
I'm picky about those.

I'm not that pleased about the edge work truth be told. It was sloppy, but well built and over constructed.

I think given the option and location, the cost and shipping etc .........the ADA 15mm 180 gal tank is not a bad option having seen both and having moved both.

I'm going to repair the 120 gallon myself, I can do the same level of work as this.
That will run about 6-7 hours of work, and 100$ for the glass.
No one will fix an aquarium here.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Crazy Loaches

Guru Class Expert
Nov 20, 2006
Ohio
Wow that must have been scary. When I was moving my GC 240g long in I was planning on rolling it across the floor through the hallway were it was to narrow for folks to be on the side. But my two friends with me said they'd rather try carrying it down the hall with just the two of them rather than putting it all the way down on the ground and trying to pick it back up... I was terribly nervous but the two of them carried it all the way down the hall.

I am glad your pleased with them, I had not heard anything bad about GC when I made my purchase, but since then I've uncovered a whole ton of complaints. Infact one of the locals here in town I got some plants off from to help start my 240 the other week told me some storied he had heard. I cant say I'll do business again with them just becuase of their attitude with so many folks that was less than professional. That and their low prices are jumping higher by leaps and bounds. My tank now costs $150 more.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, ADA tanks are local for me, so that's a big issue.
I wish I could get custom sizes made like the ADA tanks.

At some point, saving a 100-300$ here or there does not matter when you are talking about a look and presentation that will be in your home or client's for 20 years or more.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
Your 60 gallon cubes...

I'm curious about your GlassCages.com 60 gallon cubes. Are those the stock 24x24x25in rimless tanks? And are the stands the stock 24x24x24 red oak ones?

And what visual difference does black silicone over standard make? I cannot picture it in my head...

Would a pendant-type MH lamp work on this size/type tank? Since I have no practical experience with MH yet, what brands/models would work well for example. Or would another type like power compact or T5/T5HO work better (subjective, I know).

I would like to set up my first "large" tank. Up til now the largest tank I have been able to use is a 20-long, due to space and apartment. I want to try for a very clean looking setup with an open top, hence the pendant-style or hanging lights. I plan on using pressurized CO2 as well.

What about filtration? Would a canister filter work just fine? Something like the Rena XP3 or an Eheim?

-Jason

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
rusticitas;22250 said:
I'm curious about your GlassCages.com 60 gallon cubes. Are those the stock 24x24x25in rimless tanks? And are the stands the stock 24x24x24 red oak ones?

Yes.

And what visual difference does black silicone over standard make? I cannot picture it in my head...

Not much, I like regular silicone.

Would a pendant-type MH lamp work on this size/type tank? Since I have no practical experience with MH yet, what brands/models would work well for example. Or would another type like power compact or T5/T5HO work better (subjective, I know).

Yes, they work good.
I'm going with the HQI+t5 combo though.

I would like to set up my first "large" tank. Up til now the largest tank I have been able to use is a 20-long, due to space and apartment. I want to try for a very clean looking setup with an open top, hence the pendant-style or hanging lights. I plan on using pressurized CO2 as well.

What about filtration? Would a canister filter work just fine? Something like the Rena XP3 or an Eheim?

-Jason

I use drilled holes+ bulk heads.
Unlike ADA, I do not like the tubes and lily pipes which are fragile, get covered in algae and bacteria rapidly. So in/out for the filter is below the cabinet, and the heater is a hydro in line as well as the CO2.

There are no cords or tubes going into the tank and no over flows(well, there are, but I can remove them if I wish).

Regards,
Tom Barr

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
In what locations is the 24x24x25 tank drilled? I know what you're saying about the glassware, but I've not yet delved into drilling planted tanks for filtration (just bulkhead overflow for my small killie tanks is all). I can't picture where the intake and outflow are... By any chance to you have a pic?

-Jason