Macros And Micros Daily?

onlyplants

Jan 6, 2020
Prague, CZ
Can I dose macros and micros daily assuming they don't mix? I just got a jebao/jecod dosing pump but i can't for whatever reason get the interval function to work. It always doses both on the same day. Does this actually matter? Would it be better, for example to cut the dosages in half and double the frequency, and to then make it dose every day?

Thanks!

Pauld738

Feb 24, 2019
Modesto, CA
Here's a slightly different thought...

Dose all your macros for the week at water change and then micros daily.

I switched to that approach awhile back with good success (the front loading of macros at the beginning of the week)
85672cc48b5223c1c53ab06260587ab3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

onlyplants

Jan 6, 2020
Prague, CZ
Hah, that's an excellent idea, so since i'm in low/medium light i'm sure it's safe for me, but what about the nitrates? Is that much safe for fish and inverts? Is there discussion about it here? Also, as the macros are so heavily dosed, it doesn't make the iron precipitate in the early week?

Last edited:

Pauld738

Feb 24, 2019
Modesto, CA
Precipitation is more for concentrated doses. Like in a dosing bottle. The dose you make at the beginning of the week is comparatively weak, especially when you consider the entire volume of water in your tank.

As for fish/invert health, I don't have any links to fall back on but I have seen many threads that do discuss this and the consensus is that the Nitrates from Ferts don't have the same effect that Nitrates from decomposition have. Probably due to the lack of dissolved organics and other material present when you have decomposing matter.
Plus you are only adding in 20ppm, give or take a few and depending on your targets. I follow tanks that hit close to 50ppm without ill effect to inhabitants. I myself have a low tech neo shrimp tank that hovered around 50ppm nitrate for awhile before I figured out my son was dosing too much Ferts. We had a batch of babies during that time. Go figure.

@Tom558 My algae production went down when I started front loading. The tank pictured now goes over 2 weeks before I see algae on tank sides. And during summer months it gets roughly an hour of direct sunlight a day. Keep in mind it's probably not due to just the front loading but it definitely doesn't hinder the process. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tom558

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Thanks for the response, it's been guess work so far for me. Actually it's been web page after web page and trying to decipher who is just trying to promote a product.
I have been reading quite a bit on this site the last couple of days and I am going to try front loading for a while and I am also going to cut back my light intensity, my algae problems have come back the last week. run a Finnex 24/7 LED but about 3 weeks ago I started using 3 24w T-5s red, red, green. I did this because i bought some Green Cambodia and it started growing "lanky" or thin, I thought with my 36" Bow Front ( 22" top to bottom ) I wasn't getting enough light down at the bottom, I decided that was a bad call.
I think with the help of people like you and this site I might just get this figured out.
Thanks so much Tom

20200823_205540.jpg