This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Light question?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hani, Apr 1, 2011.

1. hani

hani Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:45 AM
    I just got my Apogee light meter, what should i aim for at the substrate level? its a 45 g tank 24 in deep(top to bottom) and 24 wide, i was using 2 x24 T5 WITH dimable ballast running at 50% that was giving me 25 PAR substrate level and about 90-100 par at surface, then i went 100% and that gave me 35 at sub level and 120 at best at the surface.
    turned the other light fixture 2x24 t5 and i got 50-55 at substrate and 140-150 at surface.
    the tank is co2 injected, have alot of anabius and java on wood , also blexa at other area, i was running the light at 50% bc i was having black spots on the java and anubias, but the blexa did not like it much.
    what should i try to aim at at the sub level?
    thanks

2. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I would say 50micromoles at the substrate is a good range to grow any plant without having too much light

3. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Congrats hani! Nice little gadget isn't it?

I'm getting interesting readings with mine. I got 20 micromoles/m2/s with a single Marineland Double Bright LED in a 24" tall tank (which surprised me).

I found out I had pretty fair lighting for my low light non-CO2 tanks but I'm below the "ideal" at the moment in most of my pressurized CO2 tanks. I'm aiming as ibanezfrelon suggested in the previous post to the 50 micromoles/m2/s (retrofitting and getting new lamps).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

#3 pepetj, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  4. Seattle_Aquarist

Seattle_Aquarist Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:45 PM
    Hi hani,

I also have a 45 gallon tall (24" deep) and when used the GSAS PAR meter I measured 106 20 micromoles/m2/s at the substrate which is 20.25" from the light. I am using an AH Supply 1X96 watt kit with a new 8800K power compact bulb.

[​IMG]