Increasing O2 levels

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
When I added the nano powerhead, I was also using a air bubble wall. I tried to remove it and after a few days my Discus became listless. I could see a smokey haze on the waters surface. I put the bubble wall back in and even the kuhli came out to play in it. He also plays when I do a wc. When the water fills back in there are bubbles on everything. The Discus tonight were nudging them off the leaves. Since I don't use CO2, I have been told that agitation of the surface is ok. Is there a way to get more O2 in with out listening to the hiss of the bubble wall? It is the only sound in the room.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
If you are not injecting co2 i find it very hard to believe your o2 is low. What sort of filter are you using? HOB or can? If HOB then 100% no way o2 is low, if its a can its possible but still very unlikely with 0 co2 injection. You can just create surface agitation with the nano power head and that should be fine.

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
Co2 has no effects on O2 levels in water.
However, longer exposure of fish to high co2 levels (high being over 45-50ppm) will mean the inability of said fish to reduce its own co2 levels propery and cause a reduction in the ability of haemoglobin to carry oxygen, as well as lowering of bloods PH(which the fish can counteract but long term effects are adverse).

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
You can agitate the surface of the water without making bubbles. This will give you more O2 exchange with the surface and keep surface scum from building up. Make sure you have proper filtration for your tank size, then just aim your outtake nozzle up enough to make gentle ripples in the water.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
ntino;32947 said:
Co2 has no effects on O2 levels in water.

Anyone care to chime in on this?
Co2 and O2 levels balance themselves out in an aquatic environment. If you drive more co2 into the water there is less room for dissolved o2. So there is a 100% correlation between the two.. (Correct me if im wrong)

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
ccLansman;33015 said:
Anyone care to chime in on this?
Co2 and O2 levels balance themselves out in an aquatic environment. If you drive more co2 into the water there is less room for dissolved o2. So there is a 100% correlation between the two.. (Correct me if im wrong)

You are wrong, you can take my word for it, or google it. Or you can use common sense and realize that 8ppm of O2 and 40ppm of CO2 are not going to "push" each other out.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey crystalview,

I see from your signature that you STILL have 2 frawns of bolbitus.

Haven't they multiplied yet? lol

On your post:

How often do you do a WC? Most fish really like it after one.

How many discus and size vs how large a tank? Sorry I forgot your config.

Maybe the fish are now bigger than they were and your maintenance needs to keep up with their growth?

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
I had to get new bolbitis. I have had several bouts of Diatoms and I could not stand the sick looking bolbitis anymore.
Wasserpest at "The planted tank" does ROAK when it is warmer. The plants root base he sent me is as wide as my palm and super leafed out. We both live in northern CA so I could still get plants now.

My fish load is low. See sig. I have diatoms again and I thought if I got more circulation that it might help the diatoms. They say Discus don't like fast moving water and that is why I choose a bubble wall in the back of the tank for movement.
I did try to run my fluval output at the surface and it would only ripple 1/3 to1/2 of the surface of the water. Not as much as Vaughn's pic's.

Gerryd;33034 said:
Hey crystalview,

I see from your signature that you STILL have 2 frawns of bolbitus.

Haven't they multiplied yet? lol

On your post:

How often do you do a WC? Most fish really like it after one.

How many discus and size vs how large a tank? Sorry I forgot your config.

Maybe the fish are now bigger than they were and your maintenance needs to keep up with their growth?

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
lol thanks mooner, i was thinking the same thing. I think nito needs to envision the co2/o2 mixture like adding colored marbles to a bag already full of marbles. The more you add of one the less room for the others.