CO2 and Ph

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand the effect of CO2 on Ph is that even though the CO2 lowers the Ph reading in the tank, it will have no effect on the fish. That is, what effects the fish are the Gh and Kh and that the CO2 simply spoofs a temporary Ph reading until it dissipates.

That being said, I want to follow Tom's advice and crank CO2 during lights on and shut it off during the night. This will cause my Ph reading to fluctuatae between 8.1 and 7.2. I keep Tanganyikan Cichlids that like a high Ph (assumed related to Kh and Gh), but can I really induce this level of extreme flutuation without consequences.

I have cranked down the controller to as low as 7.5 and since doing so have lost two Cyprochromis Leptosoma and a Neo. Gracalis. All other water parameters are in line; no amonia, no nitrites, frequent water changes etc. Could it just be coincidence these fish died? All the fish look and act fine.

So, can I fluctuate Ph by .9 daily through CO2 injection without harming the fish assuming all other parameters are fine and there are no diseases?

Thanks to all....

baruch mor

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Re: CO2 and Ph

im not cichlids man myself (only had discus,scalars and apisto's) but if they died because of the co2 its either because of access of CO2 or oxygen defficiancy. flactuation of 0.9 ph is not the cause.
btw, cichlids like hard water and doesnt care if ph is going down because of co2 injections.

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005

Thanks baruch!

Anybody else have any guidance or insights? I am really tentative about the ph effect on my fish from adding CO2.

Thanks

jrneuzil

Mar 13, 2005
Eastern Kentucky

Ph out of my tap is 8. KH is 22.
With CO2 I have seen my pH go from 8 to 6.5 with not ill effects on the fish. When It has dropped below 6.5 the fish do seem stressed and are at the surface alot.

JR

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005

WOW. According to the CO2 chart, that would put your CO2 at >200 ppm!

imatrout

Prolific Poster
Apr 4, 2005

groovyfishguy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but that can't be right/good..... :cool:

I just used Chuck Gadd's CO2 calculator and put in the paramenter and that's what came out :eek:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

That's a bit better:)

Regards,
Tom Barr