This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking up the Photoperiod

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by growitnow, Jul 15, 2007.

1. growitnow

growitnow Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:16 PM
    I've seen posts that a period of darkness within the overall photoperiod is not known to enhance plant growth.

But my question comes from the other direction - is there any basis to think a period of darkness is *not* desirable? (algae, plant growth, fish, etc.)

Goal is simple. I recently delayed light onset at beginning of day in order to shorten overall photoperiod (which is currently from 11am-8pm). But now lights are out before I go to work, and I enjoy my morning coffee looking at tank.

I would like to:
    Lights ON 6-8am
    Lights OFF 8am-1pm
    Light ON 1pm-8pm

Curious of anyone does this, or has suggestions/cautions. Duration of first ON phase not relevant, as long as lights come on when I do

Thanks,
    growitnow

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Some have done this for this same reason.
    I really do not think it's that critical, as long as you do not turn them on for only 1-3 hours, instead going for a 5-6 hiur frame and not leave the midday period too long, not more than about 2 hours or so.

I just turn the lights on late in the day so I can see things at night when I have more time.

Regards,

Tom Barr

3. growitnow

growitnow Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tom, thanks.

Not having a long dark period in the middle makes sense upon your reply. Particularly if one is driving CO2, where dark+CO2 = high CO2 levels plus some wasted gas.