Aquatic Plant Online Retailers...

Aeropars

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Whats your experiences of online plant suppliers? Not so much Tropica retailers as we all know their quality. I'll start:

Greenline Aquatic Plants:
Ordered a few times and mostly alright. Stems tend to be cuttings with no root system. Last time I ordered I wasnt iiimpressed as a lot of the order were poor quality and a lot of my hairgrass was dead!

URL: Greenline Aquatic Plants Ltd

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Greenline are generally extremely good, and if you do have an issue, Andy will sort things out almost instantly if you email him. They sent me the wrong type of HC once, and as a sorry he sent me the biggest bag of the right type of HC youve ever seen for free.

Unfortunatly in my area, all we have access to for quality, affordable plants is the internet, which is a pain. But with suppliers like Greenline, it makes life much easier.

Also had quite a bit of success buying riccia from germany, took a little time to get here, but perfect quality stuff when it did. Riccia does travel extremely well though, so that might be why. I woudlnt buy more sensitive plants from so far away. Whenever I sell riccia on ebay it flys off the shelf.

Aqua essentials stuff is extremely good, but also very expensive, if you can afford it, their tropica potted products are 100%.

JamesC

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Kent, UK
I've used Greenline a few times and find the quality very good. Never had any problems. Yes they often are cuttings, but so what? They soon root without any problem. Aqua Essentials have good quality Tropica plants but don't have anywhere near as much choice as Greenline.

James

Aeropars

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Has noone used other suppliers then? Getting a database of suppliers would benefit us all.

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
AM

I buy almost everything from plants to equipment to glassware from Aquatic Magic in Malaysia. and food/fish from Pleco Aquatics in.....Lincolnshire

AM sell plants that a lot of the others just don't have and at low prices as well. Some items like the mosses can be in small portions but they do grow well, and unlike everyone else there are so many different types and not just....yawn....java moss.

Also plenty of crypt, anubia and sword species along with the nymphae.

Never had a bad package from them although the last lot of taiwan moss I got was a little brown but 2 weeks later is bright green and growing steadily.

Andy

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Aeropars;17664 said:
Has noone used other suppliers then? Getting a database of suppliers would benefit us all.

when our new forum goes live (wont be long now at all) well have a whole section deditacted to this :) so its in hand :)

Barney

Junior Poster
Jun 30, 2007
Just to add to this as it is a useful thread.

I got all of my plants from Plants Alive (Aquarium Plants | Pond Plants | Plants Alive)

Wasnt overly impressed. The hairgrass, HC and a few of the stem plants where pretty much dead. They sent the order with the Riccia missing and the only communcation I have had about that is "to follow". I would say maybe 20% out of about 200 plants where great quality, 20% where dead or dying and the rest where ok.

Next time I will definitly pay more and go somewhere else.

FacePlanted

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2007
Austin, TX
Aeropars;17664 said:

In the USA I have used AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community. a few times.
I think they were the only place that would ship a full co2 tank to me (for the extra $$) I have also purchased some Kasselman books and some planting implements.
As for plants, I think they have a pretty large selection and they have no minimum order. The Rotala Rotundifolia came in good shape and in a nice color, and the bunch I ordered had maybe like 2 dozen+ stems. The anubias was very pretty and they sent me 4 nymphea bulbs instead of the 2 I ordered.
All the plants were shipped in wet newspaper in a plastic bag inside of a box.

My experience all in all has been very good and I have to recommend them.
Plus I like the no min. order policy.

I am about to order from Floridadriftwood's Aquarium Plants & Driftwood and will post my experience with them when I do.

-Mike B-

FacePlanted

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2007
Austin, TX
oops, just saw this in the new posts list and didnt realize it was for the UK
(in the UK Aquatic Plant Society forum)
-Sorry!

-Mike-