Iron

Mike k

Jul 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Good Morning

I believe in the adage “the only dumb question is the one not asked.”

As a noob to the high tech world the question of iron and its forms is on my mind

I am doing a bunch of reading but it is not making sense yet

So, I see iron chelates of dpta, edta, gluconate, etc. Will someone in a “chemistry for dummies” give me a hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I had many misconception about iron when I started my first planted tank 6 months ago, and after reading extensively and recognizing my plants were starving of iron, I finally realize why I even need dosing iron. Here are my 2 cents about iron.

Iron stands alone as the macro of micros, as plant need of iron is several to 1000 times greater than other micros. Iron ought to be elevated as the micro of macros, just below phophate.

Despite iron being the most abundant mineral in many rock and substrate, fish food and poop, it is largely bio unavailable to plants and the most commonly deficient nutrient encountered. So don't fool by commercial substrates that list the hign % of iron content which is largely unavailable to plants.

In oxygenated water, iron precipitates out quickly as Fe3, and iron in rock and substrate is bound tightly as Fe3. Natural Fe is available to plants only if it is reduced to soluble Fe2 by anaerobic reduction in the substrate or photo reduction in the water column.

This is why dosing of chelated iron is needed to solutionize Fe2 and Fe3 so plants can absorb it, but you need to dose the sweet spot to prevent algae outbreak or poisoning plants, fish or inverts.

The choice of chelate and frequency of dosing is also critical because the stabilty of chelate may break down instantly or in short time depending on the type of chelate.

I dose gluco Fe and DTPA Fe because it is more stable in my neutral to alkaline water. The stability is only short time, so I have to dose every other day. For acidic pH, edta Fe Is fine

Last edited:

Mike k

Jul 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Thank you! What is your source of gluconate? Dtpa?

My micro mix is from green leaf, pps-pro. For some reason I think that is dpta?

When I dose more than 3-4 mls of the pre mix in a week I get algae on glass and substrate. Trying to figure out causation/correlation.

Doing a lot of reading. Chemistry for me in school was about coke then rum, rum then coke, whiskey before beer, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingkong

Junior Poster
Sep 7, 2012
miami, florida
I am going to supplement CSMB with Sequestrene 138 Fe, a EDDHA iron for my hard water.

gstips2-10_en.jpg