This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another Sump question, Utilizing Saltwater Sump for Freshwater

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by confidentblue, Apr 9, 2015.

1. confidentblue

confidentblue Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:55 PM
    Hello Folks!

I've looked online for other saltwater to freshwater information but quite frankly, its seems like its in bits and pieces. I understand the function and design of sumps at a basic to intermediate level and am comfortable with how they function but I'm looking for more input from my "brethren" here!

Heres a bit of background on me and my thoughts,

I've been in the hobby now for about 2 years and have been steadily progressing. I've always had a big interest in Planted Tanks as well as Salt Water and have been slowly accumulating nicer equipment that I could use for dual purpose, not only in freshwater, but saltwater as well (Mainly Lighting, ATO, Neptune Apex Controller etc).

With that in mind, I've been really wanting to switch my 60P over to a sump based system because I want to, at some point in the near future, try a Saltwater Aquarium. Having said that, the initial upstart for the type of reef setup I'm interested in doing (corals) is rather large and being a mere public servant in profession, funds are of short supply!

My plan was to buy a sump, drill my 60P for a herbie style overflow, utilize the tank and sump for my freshwater passion till I accrue all the gadgets and equipment I want for the reef, then switch when I'm ready.

That being said, buying or building a quality sump can be rather pricy and I don't want to have to pay for one twice. All of my tanks are currently CO2 injected and I understand that the initial intake portion of the sump needs to be sealed to help prevent CO2 off-gassing. I've been trying to figure out a way to utilize a saltwater sump to where I can both use it for freshwater efficiently, then when the time comes, transition it to a saltwater setup.

I've done my own acrylic projects so far and have made about three smaller sized tanks so I know I can modify any acrylic sump I buy or build but my concern is if I HAVE to seal the intake portion, when I decide to switch to Saltwater, I'm pretty much screwed because sealing it would be a permanent endeavor.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of idea?

Do I have to seal the intake or can I just pump more CO2 to make up for the difference?

Opinions, thoughts and concerns are always welcomed! Brainstorming helps as well!

Hope this post was clear and concise, I just got home from a long day and my brain is a bit fried.

Thanks for your time!

-Jason

2. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sealing it only reduces the amount of c02 loss. Many do not bother and many will say "its going to get out no matter what you do". You can compensate by adding more c02 and c02 is cheap.

A good alternative, is that if its not sealed and is open to air, more 02 will get back into the water.

Like you, I was determined to have a sealed sump so I built an acrylic tower and put a bulkhead in the top for the input, that went into a drip tray, then over biobale, then put the whole thing into a 20 gal glass aquarium.

It works good, but the damn thing will float sometime after water change.

3. confidentblue

Local Time:
    I like that idea! I could buy a regular standard saltwater sump and build the tower into the skimmer section and when I'm ready to transition to saltwater just remove it from the sump. Thanks!

Anyone else have any comments concerns or ideas?

4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Target has some locking cover totes that should fit within a 12" wide tank. One of them has a gasket for sealing. Not sure how long it will hold up to CO2 long term, but it should be easy enough to replace with a bead of silicone if it becomes an issue. <15$ so they're cheap to replace if you screw it up somehow.

5. confidentblue

Local Time:
    Not a bad idea either shoggoth! I'll check it out