This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another EI dosing Q!

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by magnolia95, Sep 3, 2005.

1. magnolia95

magnolia95 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:43 AM
    Just trying to get my head around ppm using the Fertilator....

Have I got this right:

If I dose according to the suggestion in Tom's article for a 20G high light tank, this is:

1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 3-4x a week (every other day) equates to 10ppm NITRATE, 6.6ppm POTASSIUM per dose

and:

1/16th-1/32nd teaspoon of KH2PO4 3-4x a week (every other day)

Say I use 1/32nd amount then this equates to 1.6ppm PHOSPHATE, .66ppm POTASSIUM per dose.

Do I just add up the amounts to get the total ppm per dose? and is that enough potassium?

If I use Seachem Equilibrium how do I calculate how much Ca, Mg, and K I am adding? On the bottle it gives concentrations as percentages e.g. Ca 8.06%.

I know I might not need to know how much in the Equilibrium if I put enough in, but I'm nosy! I like knowing these things :)

Thanks for any help,

maggie

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    1:43 AM
    Re: Yet another EI dosing Q!

Try emailing SeaChem directly, they changed their K+ formulation some. I use it like I would K2SO4 although it adds less K+ obviously.

If you follow the recommendations, the K+ should come out close to NO3. And over time and if you address the 03 and go molar ratios N:K, we see that K+ is in a huge excess relative to ratios and plant needs.

The leveling off of K+ will be higher than N since less is needed by the plant over time(see the graphs for EI as they progress through time).

Basically less K+ is used relative to N in the dosing routine.

Regards,
    Tom Barr