Yellow Gas Pipe Thread Tape

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
I was under the impression that yellow teflon tape is double density teflon and is just colour coded for gas lines.

It seems that it is generally used on larger NPT threads; for our purposes, I think single density teflon is fine, as long as it is applied properly.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
I use the yellow along with "pipe dope" that is rated for gas use. Most likely overkill, but I never get leaks. I also trim the excess tape after the conmection is made. This makes for a neater finished product.

kevmo911

Oct 19, 2010
Greensboro, NC
The difference is simply the thickness, as you noted. But that difference can be compensated for by extra loops of the white stuff, and I'd much rather have some excess white tape sticking out, than yellow.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
No need for anything more than regular teflon tape or Oates. Haven't had a leak in any of my builds for years. It all comes down to personal preference and what you have available. Neither one is better or will seal more. They are the same. They won't blow out, etc. Nothing to worry about.

One thing to consider is that gas pipe has much larger threads than our little 1/8 and 1/4" npt fittings. The gas-line dope might be coarser and thicker, which could cause leaks because you would be prevented from tightening the NPT fittings as much as you normally would with the regular stuff...

Food for thought. Thicker isn't always better.

Last edited by a moderator: