Would you rather have a HOB or Canister for oxygenation of the water?

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
Hello all:

People are moving from Canisters to Sumps now, because of the massive difference in oxygen levels they provide.

I will be setting up a small low tech tank that will have no CO2, and I was wondering, should I choose an HOB filter over a Canister for the same reason? I'd prefer the clean look of a canister, but if the HOB will mix more O2 and atmospheric CO2 with the water than I'll go that route.

Thank you,
Whiskey

I think Canister with the outflow above surface will bring more O2 than a HOB with the cascade at water level, only moving it,

i talk from my experience, since for my HOB to bring any surface breakage, water lever has to be lower..

- - - Updated - - -

I think Canister with the outflow above surface will bring more O2 than a HOB with the cascade at water level, only moving it,

i talk from my experience, since for my HOB to bring any surface breakage, water lever has to be lower..

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
As long as the water level is maintained(not always easy for many to remember to do) in smaller tanks, the HOB filters are fine. Same with Canisters but you can place the spray bars in different locations to avoid too much of this, which gives you a few days between top offs.

In my small 15lt tank i have a airstone and my HOB just moves the water since water level is above the plastic outake, this way i get ripple from air bubbles and nice flow from the HOB,
without the airstone i dunno if i got enough oxigen since water doesnt move that much

- - - Updated - - -

In my small 15lt tank i have a airstone and my HOB just moves the water since water level is above the plastic outake, this way i get ripple from air bubbles and nice flow from the HOB,
without the airstone i dunno if i got enough oxigen since water doesnt move that much