This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather have a HOB or Canister for oxygenation of the water?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Whiskey, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    9:39 PM
    Hello all:

People are moving from Canisters to Sumps now, because of the massive difference in oxygen levels they provide.

I will be setting up a small low tech tank that will have no CO2, and I was wondering, should I choose an HOB filter over a Canister for the same reason? I'd prefer the clean look of a canister, but if the HOB will mix more O2 and atmospheric CO2 with the water than I'll go that route.

Thank you,
    Whiskey

2. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    I think Canister with the outflow above surface will bring more O2 than a HOB with the cascade at water level, only moving it,

i talk from my experience, since for my HOB to bring any surface breakage, water lever has to be lower..

- - - Updated - - -

I think Canister with the outflow above surface will bring more O2 than a HOB with the cascade at water level, only moving it,

i talk from my experience, since for my HOB to bring any surface breakage, water lever has to be lower..

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    As long as the water level is maintained(not always easy for many to remember to do) in smaller tanks, the HOB filters are fine. Same with Canisters but you can place the spray bars in different locations to avoid too much of this, which gives you a few days between top offs.

4. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    In my small 15lt tank i have a airstone and my HOB just moves the water since water level is above the plastic outake, this way i get ripple from air bubbles and nice flow from the HOB,
    without the airstone i dunno if i got enough oxigen since water doesnt move that much

- - - Updated - - -

In my small 15lt tank i have a airstone and my HOB just moves the water since water level is above the plastic outake, this way i get ripple from air bubbles and nice flow from the HOB,
    without the airstone i dunno if i got enough oxigen since water doesnt move that much