This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

So, I was at the LFS yesterday and they had several tank 'combos' for sale all inclusive.

I like this one:

180 gal tank/stand 72x24x24, pre-drilled, twin overflows like mine but with a black frame and newer :)..Stand is just like the one I have on my 180 now... Comes with a large two tower trickle filter and wier plumbing/durso standpipes. Current 12x39w t5 fixture included. They are also offering a good deal on any substrate I want....

All for $1400 (minus substrate). I would sell the t5 fixture or just use a few bulbs...I am curious what the PAR will be using the mounting legs 2" above the tank....Let's see 12xt5=a guesstimate of ........300-400 micromoles easy at surface...may not need all of that lol

The light alone is worth $600 retail...

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/browseproducts/Current-USA-72--Nova-Extreme-Pro-T5-12X39-Watt.html

Basically I would need a sump pump, check and ball valve, and just add water....I may even have my mag 1800 laying around somewhere I could use....

This would be almost the SAME setup I had when I joined the Barr report a few years back...back to the future lol

I would not have much room in my bedroom where this would go..this would replace the 45 gal currently residing there....But it would be so awesome to do it...It is only myself and the 2 cats, so no worries there..

Or, I am now thinking it could be in the spare BR/office....I spend plenty of time in there so could be nice...and I have more room as well, an important point...close to kitchen/bathroom for water changes...good thing I moved to a bigger place....

This would allow me to scape this one with the new manzy wood from Tom and leave my existing current tank alone.....

I am talking myself into it as I type.....Sump and the mag will be pretty quiet. I had something smaller for a long time and it didn't bother me. As long as the standpipes are quiet and the overflows don't gurgle away :)

I am concerned about two large tanks and how to split my viewing time between them being in different rooms.....It would be low maintenance/low light most likely NO c02, a few hardy plants, lots of wood, and fish..

Thoughts?

#1 Gerryd, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Thoughts? Yes, I'd keep just one tank ;)
    Or in case I wanted another one, something smaller, like a 22 x 22 x 22.
    regards,
    dutchy

3. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I'm glad I didn't go with the 180 overall. A 24" cube would probably be pretty nice though.

Aside from having lots of tank to deal with, why would you need a check valve? Wouldn't a simple siphon break ( i.e. hole ) suffice to prevent backflow in the event of power/pump failure?

-
    S

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi all,

Thanks for knocking some common sense into me...went crazy there for a minute....

I was just at the old Big Al's store. They had 3 different 65 gallon tank/stand/light combos all for

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

If it makes you feel better, you can get the 65s side by side and run some pipe between for an instant "130". :)

-
    S