Would like someone to look over my EI dosing amounts/schedule - converting dry to liq

Mog

Junior Poster
Apr 27, 2011
Hi,

This will be my first time with a pressurized system and would like some advice from those more experienced :)

Tank is a 75g, 2-4" of EC substrate front to back, moderate-highly planted, but new cuttings. Catalina T5HO 3 bulb fixture, mounted on top of tank using legs, plan on using a 10k and Grow light to start, 3rd bulb is a 6700. Tank is approximately 90% stocked. Bolivian Rams, Sunset Platy's, Guppies, Cardinal Tetra's, Albino Cory's and Oto's.

Target CO2 - 25-30ppm

I purchased my dry ferts from GLA and two 500ml dispensers.

What I plan on doing is mixing the dry ferts in the dispensers and applying every other day. From the general EI guidelines:

Mixture 1 - Macro:
1. 3/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week, x5 weeks (15oz) should equal 3.75 tbsp.
2. 3/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week, x5 weeks (15oz) should equal 2.81 tbsp.

I plan on mixing these with 443ml of water and applying 29.57ml (1oz) Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Mixture 2 - Micro: (Stored in refigerator)
1. 2 tbsp CSM+B into 500ml of water. This should give me twenty five 20ml doses which I plan on applying on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

50% Water change on Sunday with 1tsp of Ultimate GH Booster from GLA.

Do my calculations/schedule seem correct so far?

Now a few questions...

1. I was originally going to go with the PMDD method and purchased K2S04 and MGS04. Going with the EI method, is there any need for these?

2. I've read that you should dose Micro and Macro on different days... and then I've read that it's fine to dose all in the same day as they will be diluted enough by the time you add the remainder. Should I stay with my outlined schedule or should I cut the dose in half and dose both 6 days per week?

3. Is tap water okay for the Micro mixture or should I used distilled?

4. Since this is my starting dosing amounts and first time, should I make any adjustments due to the tank being heavily stocked?

Thanks for any help, recommendations and advice!

Alex

Crispino Ramos

Guru Class Expert
Apr 23, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I don't find the need for K2SO4 because there's potassium in KNO3 and KH2PO4, neither would you need MgSO4 because, I assume that you're water is coming from the tap.

You can dose Micro and Macro on the same day, but don't mix the Micro and Macro in one bottle.

I would prefer using distilled water for the Micro mixture to avoid algae growth in the bottle.

The fish waste (mostly fecal urea) will not be immediately useful for plant growth.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Why not make it simple and dose dry?

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1 tsp GH Booster once a week (water change only)
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Mog

Junior Poster
Apr 27, 2011
That's the formula I based my above numbers off of. The reason I want to convert to liquid, is that I'm a single dad with a 2 year old. For me, it would be a lot easier to mix once every 5 weeks or so and then just liquid dose from one dispenser, than pulling out measuring spoons, dry mix and dosing every day. Much more "toddler friendly" in my opinion :)

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Mog;65223 said:
... then just liquid dose from one dispenser ....
You will have to use at least two dispensers. One for macro and one for micro.

Then you may find that you need to change your mix based on your plant's needs. If you use solutions, a better way is one for KNO3, one for KH2PO4 and maybe one for K2SO4, if needed.

Then on water change day, you need to dose your GH Booster.

Your micro dose may need more iron or maybe less iron based on your plant's needs.

This is why I like dry dosing.

Mog;65223 said:
...than pulling out measuring spoons, dry mix and dosing every day. ...
This can be a very quick and easy way to dose. Plus it can be tucked safely away and it will fit in a smaller space than solutions. Based on your EI dosing, one 1/4 teaspoon will work for everything.