This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Would it be too strong if I use 120W Programmable Marine Light for plant tank?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by trumanwu, Oct 17, 2014.

1. trumanwu

trumanwu Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:55 AM
    As title. The light configs are as follow

18 white, 28 Blue, 2 Red, 2 Green, 5 purple. Total 55 LEDs, and each LED should be 3W. But total power is only 120W. I don't know how it work out as 120W, but the products specification said it is 120W.

I like this light can be program to change brightness every hour to simulate the real sun light. But I am not sure whether it would be too strong for plant aquarium? Can you give me any advise?

I can re-arrange the LEDs into other colors. I read from internet that it is preferable ratio White:Blue:Red is 2:1:1. If total 55 LEDs, and can set into 3 circuits for programing. What is your recommendation? Thanks.

2. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    1:55 AM
    The wattage doesn't tell us too much, but you can always raise the light up to get a more even spread and lower the light level. You could also keep it turned down if you find that it is too much.

I think your best bet would be to pickup a Apogee PAR sensor, or borrow one from a local club to find out how much light you are dealing with. If you raise it up, or back off the power to hit something around the 50 PAR mark then you would be off to a good start. (Assuming you use CO2 of course)

Whiskey