This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Would an RO/DI filtration system be beneficial?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by ShadowMac, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:49 AM
    I am wondering if an RO/DI water filtration and storage system for water changes would be beneficial for my aquariums.

2011 water report shows avg pH of 9.0; Total alkalinity 86 mg/L CaCO3 (4.8 KH; but check my math) Total Hardness 180 mg/L (10.1 GH). Ca 43.4 ppm and Mg 9.1 ppm.

Some guidance would be appreciated. If not necessary I will only use a carbon block filter and tap water for water changes.

#1 ShadowMac, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  2. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    Your tap water might be a bit hard for some more difficult species that like soft water. If you do decide to get an RO system you could simply do 50/50 RO and Tap changes and your parameters would be ideal for most any plant.

Are you trying to grow soft water species like Eriocaulon, Syngonanthus or Toninas? Do you keep soft water fish? Don't forget the fish might like it too. :D

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Aaron, thanks for the response.

I've just noticed some plants that do well and others that don't do was well as they should. I thought it might be due to my harder water conditions and thought an RO system couldn't hurt. I have space to store the water now and already have some logistical challenges to running water changes in the new home. For example the water access I want to use only has cold water, so I would have to heat it before hand. Might as well RO filter it, too.

I don't have specific plans to grow soft water plants. I like to keep mostly softwater fish like apistos and other South American cichlids. Many of the schoolers I tend to choose are tetras or rasboras. I also keep some dwarf shrimp. I tried crystal reds before and they didn't make it.

The next challenge will be finding an appropriate container to store it and a pump that can send the water up one flight of stairs (probably 60ft total). What is the best material to store RO water? Any suggestions on a pump that can do the work? I have a diagram drawn of what I would like to do.

#3 ShadowMac, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  4. TheLivingWater

TheLivingWater New Member

Local Time:
    12:49 AM
    I would highly recommend an RO filter... especially if you plan on keeping soft-water plants and fish.... Lord only knows what’s all in tap water these days, and you can re-mineralize (GH, Kh) the water to whatever parameters you want, Besides deciding to run compressed Co2 , the purchase of my RO unit is by far the best purchase I’ve made for my hobby...KoolermaxAr122 ...made in the us and reasonably priced