This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Worms?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by pusdesris, Jun 30, 2013.

1. pusdesris

pusdesris Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    7:46 AM
    I noticed that there was quite a bit of vallisneria americana growing in the shade under my dock and I dug up a few stalks to take a look. There were quite a few worms and other invertebrates around the val roots in the sand. Is there any reason worms are not commonly stocked as detrivores and fish food? Snails seem pretty common but I never hear of people stocking worms.

2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You'll get some worms as hitchhikers on plants. I have some in my substrate. Prior to adding fish, I had some of the free-floating variety. The fish ate them as soon as I introduced a school of cardinals. Overfeeding increases the worms population.

The problem with worms in an aquarium is the fact that the worms can die in the substrate and cause all kinds of problems (increased ammonia/nitrite, anaerobic conditions), especially if you have a lot of them. They would rot in the soil. Also some worms are parasitic. You'd have to know what kind of worms/inverts you're introducing and their life cycle. Plus they look nasty in most cases.

3. pusdesris

pusdesris Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Interesting. Thanks for the reply.