Will this DIY substrate be OK?

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Just go through the scenario here :)

I have virtually zero money available for a new scape but want to do a new scape in April. I was looking at using my existing substrate and topping it with Columbo Florabase or Nature Soil (ADA AS style substrates) however cost has ruled that out :(

So its going to be a mixture of the cheapest available materials including some existing materials.

The problem I have is that I only have 1 tank and therefore the fish/shrimp will be out, into a bucket and then hopefully back in after 24 hours or so.

Onto the substrate then

I am looking to rescape to the 'plan' below:
P6plan.JPG

Might be hard to see really but the rear corners will be about 6" (15cm) sloping to about 4"(10cm) at the front corners. From the rear corners it will slope down to about 4"(10cm) where they meet the 'river' and at the front the 'river' will be 2-3"(5-7.5cm)

To get this to work I need to make sure the top layer is reasonably heavy so that my corys and shrimp don't level it out. lol

Now onto the bit I want you guys to sound me out on. Put my mind at ease hopefully.

I currently have a 3" deep layer of clay (Tropica) across the whole aquarium which has been in there for 3 years. I want to reuse this BUT I need to remove it and sieve out any MTS and roots that remain in it. Should I do some boiling and baking while it is out? Should I add some sand into it?

I have some Leonardite in my cupboard which I will use and then I was planning on getting some 100% worm castings and mixing this with sand. Pool filter sand or Onyx sand or something similar.

The main substrate from bottom to top would be (125ltr tank):
Mulm,
1/8" (4mm) Leonardite.
clay (rinsend and baked?, plain sieved?, mixed with sand?)
Then an inch(ish) layer of 50/50 earthworm castings/sand (about 4kgs)
Finally top off with half an inch of very small rounded gravel 1/16ish inch nominal size (2-3mm)

The river will be just the clay with an inch or so of white sand on top.

In essence the existing clay in whichever form I return it to the tank will provide the shape and the other materials will just be equal layers.

Can you guys foresee any problems with this?
Any problems when putting my critters in?
Should I rinse/bake the clay while it is out?

One option I could do is while the substrate is out to clean the tank, return the existing water to the tank add a little bit of sand to the bottom with a few floating plants for the shrimp and then return the critters for a day or 2 while I sort out the existing substrate.

I guess whichever route I go I will need to do daily water changes for a while to ensure there are no ammonia spike problems.

Look forward to your answers guys. I think I know those of you who will answer ;)

Or can anyone lend me $200 dollars to get the 'super dooper all singing and dancing substrate. lol

I should add that whileI appreciate I'll most likely have to do those initial water changes this is a non CO2 tank with 6% of EI dosing weekly and zero water changes!!!

All the plants will be from the existing setup or from my nursery so it will be 100% heavily planted from the start. No growing on required.

Thanks in advance

AC

Guru Class Expert
Aug 19, 2010
I'm no expert , but were it me,, I might rinse the clay not too much, and place mixture of sand/earthworm castings on top of mulm and leonardite, and cover with the clay and lastly,, the fine gravel.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Sell plants so you can afford the tank:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi AC,

Look forward to your answers guys. I think I know those of you who will answer

Did I make the over/under bet on this :)

Or can anyone lend me $200 dollars to get the 'super dooper all singing and dancing substrate. lol

What type of terms are we talking about here :) PM me if really serious...

I think your plan is sound. I see no need for boiling or baking...a rinse sounds fine..

How many fish/critters are we talking about to move?

I have kept many fish in buckets for 7-10 days as long as they had a small filter and were warm enough....

I would suggest some daily water changes after the fish/critters are back in for the next 7-14 days just to make sure..

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Gerryd;62132 said:
Did I make the over/under bet on this :)

Lol yes you are one of :)

I think your plan is sound. I see no need for boiling or baking...a rinse sounds fine..
Cool. Its just to get the MTS out and roots etc so I don't get any stray plants early on.

How many fish/critters are we talking about to move?[/quote
Fairly high for a 125ltr:
8 Corys, 8 platinum tetras, 8 Espei Rasbora ( I may give the Espei away as they won't be staying the new scape) and 1000 maybe cherry shrimp (I have no idea but circa 200 in the filter at each clean. lol

I have kept many fish in buckets for 7-10 days as long as they had a small filter and were warm enough....
I normally have them in buckets with lids for 24 hours or a little more when rescaping.

I would suggest some daily water changes after the fish/critters are back in for the next 7-14 days just to make sure..
Sound... I suspected as much.

Tom - Wish I could sell some plants however I plan to reuse them all in the new scape. Should be pretty much picture perfect from the start and establish quickly although will have to watch for Crypt melt. lol

Thanks guys
AC.