This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Will EI remove BGA?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by priv_sim, Dec 8, 2008.

1. priv_sim

priv_sim Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:30 AM
    Hello everyone!

So here is the situation:
    Like a couple months ago I started co2 running, increased light and planted much more plants than ever before to my 60L aquarium. Everything went fine for couple of weeks, but than my aquarium filled with BGA (no water change, no ferts at that time). After that I started to search for the cure and I found black-out method. Made 2 attempts, but non of it helped, so I thought "screw this aquarium!" and turned off the light and let it stay till now without any care.
    A week ago I checked my aquarium most of the plants survived but not the BGA and I found my mistake which I made before - no fertilizing. So I transplanted my plants, bough few more and started EI, but BGA just came back.
    Is there a hope that over time BGA will disappear?

My tank:
    60L
    Pressured CO2
    2x15w lamps (1.8w/G)
    No fishes
    EI

P.S. Sorry for my language mistakes, English isn't my main language

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just to be sure, are you referring to the slimy blue green algae, which is really more of a bacteria than algae? Or, green water, making pea soup of the tank water?

Blue green algae seem to show up with too little nitrate dosing and/or too much light in stagnant areas, like down at the substrate/water line.

3. priv_sim

priv_sim Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes it's blue green algae, it's like slime which can be easily taken off. Mostly it grows on the substrate and lower plants.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

BGA can also be caused by low and unstable c02 levels.

I used to get it a lot and it went down when I increased my kn03 dosing but was completely eliminated when I got my c02 levels correct and stable.

I used to get it a lot and all over.

No more BGA!

5. priv_sim

priv_sim Junior Poster

Local Time:
    According to drop checker my co2 level is good (green), but in the morning it gets a bit yellowish, so I have ordered CO2 Magnetic valve it should arrive tomorrow.