Will CO2 kill BBA

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005
After reading the many numerous posts about the algae every hates (but Tom), I got to thinking (dangerous, I know). I know Co2 halts the growth of bba but will it kill bba over time?

I know the standard method is to remove infected leaves but if I remove all of those, I don't think there will be any leaves left in the tank!!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Will CO2 kill BBA

I doubt it.
I've seen it hang on, I've also seen it die off. So there's some other things at work with killing it.

Main thing is really stopping algae growth and new production. From there it's fairly easy to control.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005

My frustration comes from the inability to increase CO2 levels. No matter what I try it doesn;t come close to the pearling I get after a waterchange. I am currently using an azoo diffuser under the intake of my spraybar. I have tried directly injecting into my canister, and an external reactor inline with a canister. Still not getting the pearling I get with a waterchange. This tells me my co2 levels aren't high enough. If I increase my bubblerate any higher, I won't need the needle valve!

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Simpte said:
My frustration comes from the inability to increase CO2 levels. No matter what I try it doesn;t come close to the pearling I get after a waterchange. I am currently using an azoo diffuser under the intake of my spraybar. I have tried directly injecting into my canister, and an external reactor inline with a canister. Still not getting the pearling I get with a waterchange. This tells me my co2 levels aren't high enough. If I increase my bubblerate any higher, I won't need the needle valve!

Why don't you put the azoo diffuser under the spraybar outlet? That way you have a CO2 mist system. It may not increase the dissolved level of CO2, and I think it will, but it will greatly improve the effectiveness of the CO2. At least it did for me, with an eheim difffuser.

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005

I was thinking about that. I don't want to move it yet to see how effective it is under the filter intake. I figure it will take 7-10 days to see if it makes a difference. I'll move it then if its still not working out. For now, I'll just cut all the plant leaves off.

alexperez

Prolific Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Sarasota, FL.

Still not getting the pearling I get with a waterchange. This tells me my co2 levels aren't high enough

I'm no expert but I don't think this is a reliable way to gauge how much CO2 is in your tank.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Simpte said:

Well, in some cases this may not be due to CO2(colder temps and super saturated tap). I often associate some need for improvement though with good pearling after a water change.

But if you add the mist, have good flow patterns with the mist, you should get close to max photosynthesis for the light levels.

Try adjusting the flow patterns of the mist and the positions of the spray bar.

You might try a single point rather than a spray bar for blasting the mist around also. Downward flow and the diffuser right under it blasting in a circular pattern.

Simply adjust and see were the bubbles go, you can easily do flow test since you have bubbles to follow.

Regards,
Tom Barr

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany

Hi Tom,

regarding BBA and CO2 you said:

>I've seen it hang on, I've also seen it die off. So there's some other things at work with killing it<

Do you have any clue what could be supporting BBA growth besides low and/or varying levels of CO2?

I'm speculating that Cl/SO4 comes into play here??? No?

Regards,
Detlef

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

No, I think it has more to do with substrate types, the algae can go dormant and hang on for months, even be dried out.

It does not presist on plants for very long though, only wood/rocks etc with good CO2 levels.

Those things can easily be cleaned and plants can be trimmed up slowly to remove the BBA.

Main thing is that low and variable CO2 will cause it and stable high CO2 will stop it from growing.

From there it's relatively easy to get rid of it, some use Excel, nothing wrong with that, but generally that is a quick fix, not a long term solution.

I really have no issues with BBA and have not with any tank in a decade almost.

Good CO2 is the issue and then trim it off, use Excel for removal if you cannot or will not trim and as an added measured if conveinent.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

detlef said:
Do you have any clue what could be supporting BBA growth besides low and/or varying levels of CO2?

I think that BBA is supported a lot by the presence of driftwood in a tank. (I know TBarr disagrees.) If you have some, try removing it and see if it helps.

TW

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany

Thanks both of you Tom and Tom,

I'm well aware that BBA mainly attaches to driftwood, rocks and equipment. In this tank the alga grows on rocks, exclusively in places with strong current/good nutrient supply coming from the pump which blows the CO2 mist around.
It didn't show up until recently when I raised Mg levels via MgSO4 and MgCl. No other parameter has been changed prior to this nor afterwards. That's why I was speculating Cl or SO4 might have something to do with the outbreak. BBA isn't an issue for me really since I'm still playing with the tank and it grows a few small patches only. But it does grow and it's amazing how it has appeared out of the blue.
There is no substrate in this tank! And only one piece of driftwood which has been there for almost two years.

Regards,
Detlef

P

paludarium

Folks reported that bleach and H2O2 do kill BBA, I'm just wondering if O2 or O-2 would be the main part that will kill BBA. Crank CO2 stimulates photosynthesis of the aquatic plants and consequently the saturation of O2. BBA loves to stick on the spray bar, drift wood and slowly growing plants, all those sites all are likey lower in O2 content.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Actually they are high in CO2.

BBA is found in the riffles in streams where decent CO2 content is present, 5-10ppm or so.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

Tom Barr said:
BBA is found in the riffles in streams where decent CO2 content is present, 5-10ppm or so.

Riffles in streams are areas of disturbed water where it tumbles over rocks and other debris. Because of the heavy agitation, riffles add O2 to stream water. Why would CO2 be more prevelent in riffles than in deep, slow moving pools? In fact, why would the concentration of CO2 in streams or other natural bodies of water be higher than the 2 to 4 ppm concentration in the atmosphere?

Bill