This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Will black tetras eat cherry shrimp?

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by Crazymidwesterner, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Crazymidwesterner

Crazymidwesterner Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:56 AM
    In the past a had a huge community of Cherry shrimp. Well as few months back I noticed my population dwindling. I took a few and put them in a 10 gallon tank to re-establish my colony. I reintroduced a few the other day and they are completely gone. The only changes made since my large quantities of shrimp are the introduction of about 7 black skirt tetras and the maturing of my skunk loach. All tank mates are, flying fox, 5 neon tetras, 6 rummy nose, 7 black skirt, 1 skunk botia and 4 ottos.

Is it the black skirt tetras?

2. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Carnivorous fish, like tetras, will eat anything that they can get their mouths around. Cherry shrimp are a perfect size.

Bill

3. Panda

Panda Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    so even the rummy nose will eat the cherrys ? Two days ago I added a small group of rummys to a male only guppy and cherry shrimp tank. let me know to remove the rummy nose !!

4. bibbels

bibbels Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Panda,

Rummynose will eat RCS especially if the shrimp aren't fully grown - at least IME. Sadly I learned this firsthand by having a group of about 50 lost in a few short days in my 125gal. Only other tankmates at the time were juvenile SAE's and some corys. I was at first suspecting the SAE's until I read reports on other forums about Rummynose eating the shrimp.

I decided it was easier to just have shrimp by themselves so I dedicated a 24gal nano to them. I breed in 2 10gal tanks and move them into the nano.

Eventually I hope to have enough of them to reintroduce into my main tank and just keep replacing the one's that get eaten.:D

5. Panda

Panda Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    bibbels,

thank you !! I'll decide now who is getting a new home !!
    now that you mention it I don't see any cherry juvies....