This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Wild plants ID

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Patrice, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Patrice

Patrice Guru Class Expert

Hi gang,
    On a fishing trip this weekend, I found a realy nice plant that look like Eriocaulon cinereum. so I picked it up and put it in a 10g tank to see how it goes.
    I know this is not an eriocaulon (canadian arctic is far from asia) and I am curious about what it is.

Does someone know a good reference about northern america wild aquatic plant so I can find his ID?

2. fresh_newby

fresh_newby Prolific Poster

Re: Wild plants ID

did you try plantgeek.net or tropica?

3. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

There are couple species in FL that I want to try.
    But few have.

Isoetes often looks similar.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. travis

travis Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

That's what I was thinking as well. Isoetes spp. grow wild throughout most of the central US and, I suspect (Tom would know), other areas of the continental US. They are quillworts and (correct me if I'm wrong) fall under the heading of fern allies (sort of pseudo-ferns?). I believe Isoetes lacustris is the most common variety found in the US. I have seen it sold as 'Octopus Plant' in stores before. Isoetes japonica is the form I am familiar with. I find it quite attractive with an excellent bright green color and a very unique appearance when healthy :)