This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Plant Identifications Needed :) (many)

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by DutchMuch, Jul 11, 2017.

1. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

I only have pictures to go by, the water where I got these from was fast moving; hard & alkaline, and also was most likely around 58F degrees to low 60F degree waters.. Thanks in advance for the help it is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

3. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

4. MarathonFish

MarathonFish New Member

Where about did you find these? Looks like Java moss

5. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

At Mirror Lake, doesn't look like java moss. I have java moss, but maybe its a temperature thing. This moss is a lot thicker feeling, and the "leaves" aren't as large. Java moss I have in the tank is, java moss.

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

i'm betting since North America that its some type of fontinalis...

The one below looks similar to umbrella moss

7. snarkingturtle

snarkingturtle New Member

Mirror Lake in Vermont? The flat, tongue-like plant is some sort of thalose liverwort. I have found the same or similar species in Ontario growing on emergent rocks in a stream and around a seepage from an old limestone dam. It was strongly attached by fine brown hairs. I tried to grow it in my current tank (my 1st real planted tank, low tech learner/experimental). It grows but lost it's form and does not attach underwater. The attached image is one of two remaining fragments after several months. I was wondering if it work out better if dry started on a rock or log before being submerged.

I've been looking at a lot of mosses myself but I'm a bit lost without a decent reference. I have learned that many mosses have different terrestrial and aquatic growth forms and these can be quite different (this can be seen at any shaded vernal pool in May/June vs July/August). Most ID resources will show the terrestrial form. Maybe put a sub set on some wet substrate in a tupperware and see what it ends up looking like.

DSCN1578.JPG

8. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Mirror Lake in Arkansas. If its fontanalis that would be neat.

9. rajkm

rajkm Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

If it does not attach under water you might do is wrap it around a rock with net like one does with riccia.

10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

it attaches underwater