wild Heckel vs wild Blue discus

R

Russ

I am about to buy 4 wild caught Heckel discus. I could order wild caught Blue discus instead. Since I ordered, I've found several references to Heckel being more difficult to keep. I'm not interested in breeding them, I just want attractive, healthy fish, that eat. The less fussy the better. Any comment or advice on keeping one or the other in a heavily planted tank would be appreciated. I'm a discus neophyte. :D

thanks,

Russ

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Then get local bred fish with similar water as yours.
Stay away from wild unless you are able to do acclimation and have experinece doing it.

The fish bred will be far more tolerant and healthier.

Regards,
Tom Barr

R

Russ

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense. I like the looks of wild fish and I've heard from several sources that wild fish have better immune systems and are a little less likely to be overly tempermental. The amount of folk lore / opinions about these fish is amazing. I've tried locally bred discus a couple of times and ended up selling them because they turned black and I thought they were going to die. Maybe I should try guppies. :eek:

-Russ

Tom Barr;15612 said:
Then get local bred fish with similar water as yours.
Stay away from wild unless you are able to do acclimation and have experinece doing it.

The fish bred will be far more tolerant and healthier.