This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Wierd pogostemon stellata behavior

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jtparsons, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jtparsons

jtparsons Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    1:43 PM
    The last two days I have noticed that the top inch of my stellata folds up about five minutes after my c02 shuts off in the evening. The lights stay on for another half hour after the soleniod closes. I have seen plants in other tanks fold up after the lights go out, but...... Could this plant be that sensitive to co2? Anyone see this before.... curiouse Thanks -Jon

2. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Controversial it may be but I am not a high light/low light believer. I am more a high CO2 / low CO2 believer.

In most tanks this may be the same thing because people who go highlight then get pressurised but I am low light with pressurised.

It could be that the plant is closing up because it has gotten used to the hours of CO2 rather than light.

Plants don't close up normally when the light is turned out. They tend to close during the photoperiod when lots of people say they have had enough light for the day. I would suggest it is when they have had enough 'intake' for the day and therefore close up to finish.

Rotala Rotundifolia is a good example. In a highlight pressurised tank it will often close up after 4-5 hours. In my low light pressurised tank it does the same!!!

Leads me to believe it isn't the light!!! Not tested properly of course, this is theory :)

AC

3. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I agree with super on this one. I have L. Aromatica and it closes up a good hour before lights off, same with my rotala.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    My Cabomba does the same thing, regardless of CO2(well, as long as the CO2 is good).

My PS does this some as well.
    As long as you have plenty of N, P, trace, and CO2, Ps grows really well and aggressively.

If it's growing well, it's a good indicator plant.

Regards,
    Tom Barr