This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Why you like wet-dry?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by nipat, Jun 26, 2010.

1. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    3:57 AM
    Hi, I'm thinking about filtration types for my next planted tank.

It seems you like wet-dry sumps better than canister filters.
    And since plants helps biological waste issues already.
    So biological benefit of a wet-dry doesn't seem to be your interest.

So why do you like the wet-dry sump much enough to tolerate the look
    of having an overflow box? (Harder-to-clog mechanical filtration?)

You also said about sealing the wet-dry sump to preserve CO2.
    But then what is the benefit of having a wet-dry while there is no O2
    to contact the water (or is there?). A regular sealed wet-only sump
    should be as good?

My main interest in a sump is just to have a place to put an airstone
    for nighttime aeration. (Now I'm back to using it again, fishes like it
    very much). Putting it in the tank makes ugly stains and interferes with
    water flow.

Thanks.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    It can go either way, for larger tanks mostly due to evaporation and equipment out of the aquarium, I prefer wet/drys.
    I do not use sumps/sock filters etc but use the wet/dry section to regas the degassed water back into the water.
    This saves more CO2 and is about equal to canisters as far as degassing as long as the wet/dry chamber is sealed up good.

Surface extraction is good, keeping shrimp out is tougher.

I think a simple night time powerhead/Hydor wave maker pointed at the surface to cause ripples will help more.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    nipat,

If you're injecting CO2, I agree with you that you may as well ditch the wet/dry section and just sump it (which I like more than a canister for the reasons below). But if you are not injecting CO2, a wet/dry is still advantageous for the gas exchange.

Also, one of the cool things about a sump is that any shrimp that pass through the main tank's prefilter/overflow will just get a chance to grow out in the sump anyway.

Also consider you'll bring in air from the atmosphere from the lower pressure of the drain pipe (even with a Durso design), and so I'm not so sure your airstone is necessary. There's other advantages to using a sump, though I would suggest you take the extra step and make it a fresh water refugium. I hope it's not rude to cross post the below, but it's just a synopsis of what I think about sumps, wet/drys, and fresh water refugiums:

If curious, the build journal of the now dead paludarium as a sump design is here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-physiology-emersed-culture/9469-emersed-growth-set-up-advice.html (my old username on APC)

I hope this helps.

4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Surface extraction is a big plus for this. I've had no ends of trouble with thick surface scum due to the foods I use without a LOT of surface agitation. Surface skimming ends that wory with the overflow box. Constant water level means no surface scum line on the glass of the tank as well which is good for viewing. It also means that I won't have that annoying water pouring sound I get with the cannister filters as the water level drops and exposes the spraybar. And there's the usual bits about stuff staying out of the tank and the easy addition of chemicals and such so everything dissolves well before hitting the tank and so on. Drawbacks include the fact that you will use more power than a cannister due to head pressure when running from a sump under the tank back up. You can get around that somewhat depending on where the sump is, but there's probably not much you can do about that.

Just a quick note that you CAN get an overflow box quiet without a durso design which dumps a lot of air into the system causing outgassing. It's a pretty easy design and works very well but you will need TWO outlets from the overflow box in order to do this. If there's interest I can try to upload some photos and an explanation in another thread. Due to the lack of air injection which would cause outgassing, I'm not sure it's as solid a requirement to seal the dry section of the filter but when I move the unit to the larger tank I am likely to do so anyway. Just in case.

-
    S

5. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info everyone. :D

Well, hehe :p , I'm steering toward all canisters.
    Because I've just found a slow-flow powerhead
    that can be run inline to use at night as additional
    aeration which is available around where I live: the Resun King-1A
    (still a bit too powerful for the job but better than nothing).

Before, all inline pumps available here were too powerful
    and I don't want to put powerhead in my tank.

#5 nipat, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010