This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Why is iron only added to CSM+B at a 2:1 ratio?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Tug, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:28 AM

I've never needed to add more iron to DSM+B then EI recommends but I was wondering if there is a reason for using the 2:1 (4:1:1) ratio by volume.

I have always assumed it was due to some relationship to the other trace in DSM+B. Does it have to do with Mn?

What would happen if the ratio were reversed?

I have also read high levels of phosphorus can block the uptake of iron.

Is this likely to happen in a planted tank at some point if PO4 is added past the EI recommended doses?

Is it feasibly possible to reach whatever that level is?

How are the symptoms of iron deficiency differentiated from N deficiency?

It seems iron deficiency is all the rage these days.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I think some folks use poor references to make the claim about PO4 and from the dosing of strong concentrated solutions with PO4/Fe. In the tank, the dilution is massive, and there's little impact. DTPA will last some time compared to say ETDA or gluconate.

Haller et al suggested 6-8 ppm of Fe as ETDA for optimal Hydrilla growth.

Trace under dosing has been going on since the dawn of the hobby/dosing.

I add DTPA to CMS+B as well as Fe Gluconate. But my tap is low KH, at higher KH, you can see the Fe cloud. DTPA is more appropriate in such cases(so add 2 DTPA and 3 CMS+B in that case). Normally I use Fe Gluc 1; 1 DTPA; 3 CMS: or 1:1:3

3. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do plants showing symptoms of iron deficiency recover after additional iron is provided?

4. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I know iron is nonmobile. And, Iron deficiency results in interveinal chlorosis of the younger foliage (yellow foliage, green veins) and if the condition worsens the newly formed leaves may remain small and can become completely pale yellow to white.

It would make sense that the symptoms would only right themselves in subsequent growth but I have come across conflicting information and not having the experience was hoping for a clarification for my own notes.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Plants tend to recover pretty well from this, but.............if it's a severe case, then not so much, this is true for many nutrients.

6. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Are there any mild deficiencies in particular that when corrected do not show improvement in the damaged portion of the leaf?

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Not much I am aware of, good general growth, some sheen on Crypts, a little richer color development overall, deeper greens etc. Fe is used to transfer energy from PS's to the dark reactions, ferroredoxins. That's likely the largest % Iron source in plant biomass. So improved general growth. Not improved color directly. So more Carbon, more reduced Carbon chains that produce the colored pigments. This can take a few days/weeks to get going really well, so plant's can take a little while to get chugging along. As said, depends on how intense the deficiency is/was.

8. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I guess not any more then anything else.

#8 Tug, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015