why does my trace elements became cloud(light blue?) in tank?

a-hua

Subscriber
Aug 5, 2007
hi
bother you again :p

i put my trace in refrigeratory, and does not dose it with npk in the same day.

everytime i use the trace and it become a ilttle cloud(light blue, see the left side)...
and the water turn to unclean after that until water change.
DSC01454.jpg

why?
too much or over expiration date?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What brand of trace nutrients are you using, A-hua? And, how much are you putting in? Also, what size tank do you have?

a-hua

Subscriber
Aug 5, 2007
tedr108;38318 said:
What brand of trace nutrients are you using, A-hua? And, how much are you putting in? Also, what size tank do you have?

there is no brand, just show how to use ....it says 1cc / 20L.
i buy it from local chemistry store.
i only dose 3-4cc in my 270L tank :confused:

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Are you sure that it is made for aquarium use? If it is simply a trace element fertilizer, it could be that it is made to be mixed with water for watering terrestrial plants. Or, it could be made for the cultivation of plants that grow in water. It may not be a good choice for aquariums.

a-hua

Subscriber
Aug 5, 2007
tedr108;38332 said:
Are you sure that it is made for aquarium use? If it is simply a trace element fertilizer, it could be that it is made to be mix with water for watering terrestrial plants. Or, it could be made for the cultivation of plants that grow in water. It may not be a good choice for aquariums.

what is different between aquarium use and hydroponics use?
maybe what i buy and dose is the second one....

i call and ask the owner of the store, he just say **dose less in tank** !!

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Aquarium use generally expects that you actually want to keep your fish alive.

Hydroponics use generally expects you want your plants to grow well, well being of other inhabitants is secondary and/or optional. Hydroponics is generally for either food production or ornamentals so they don't really worry about the other animals that might be sharing the tank.

-
S

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Try to get the analysis for the product and post it. If you don't know what's in it, then you don't know what you're dosing, so there's no way of telling if your plants are even getting what they need. It's also hard to find out the cause of the problem too.

-Philosophos

rodrigaj

Junior Poster
Aug 16, 2008
Are you sure it is trace elements? It appears to be a precipitate and this could happen with an NPK macro mix.

What color is the solution of this "trace" when it is premixed? If it is not rust colored, it is not a trace.

FWIW, I use a hydroponics trace mix. But I also know the composition of everything that is in it.

Give us what is written on the label.

a-hua

Subscriber
Aug 5, 2007
DSC01498.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

above are what i dose...which is wrote in chinese :D

the words on pic 1 means...
trace elements
make good in plant grow, prevent fruitages fall down early, extend the time of fruit preservation, use less on new leaf or too hot,50cc /1000ml on hydroponics.
put on airproor and cool place.
500g
......that is all

pic 2...
color of trace

pic 3....
sediments(?) on bottle cover

in fact, i used it because it is cheap(500g / 6.2 us dollors), and did not know what is inside(it do not show,too). it is different for me to analysis or sent it to the lab...

beside during the 1 year i use the trace, i did not lost any fish because of it.

wilsar

Prolific Poster
Jan 10, 2009
a-hua;38329 said:
there is no brand, just show how to use ....it says 1cc / 20L.
i buy it from local chemistry store.
i only dose 3-4cc in my 270L tank :confused:

the local chemistry store should know what is in this, or probably can find out.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Ya... I'd suggest a fert change. Windfall isn't so much an issue with rotala. :D

They aren't telling you what's in it, which is a big issue. It isn't meant for aquatic plants as well, which makes for an even bigger problem. The nutrient levels and related chemistry may be very wrong for aquatic plants, harmful to fish, and you've got no way of telling if or why besides experimenting.

TPN, flourish or CSM+B would be good alternatives. If you can't get these, there are alternatives in most other countries as far as I know.

-Philosophos