Why did my GBA disappear?

Jacco

Junior Poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hi all,
I also have and had BGA for a while (4 months) now. I tried blackouts (3 times) and it didn't help in the long run. Finally i emptied my 700 liter tank (except for the gravel), got most of the waist out, washed the plants and filled it again and made sure that NO3 was at least 5 mg/l and never 0. And I lowered PO4 to 0.... (it doesn't help as common sense would suggest). The most severely affected plants i placed in a spare tank (80x40x40 cm half filled tank with about 50 liters in it) together with some fish i was selling. So I had a spare tank full of BGA. After 2-3 weeks BGA was back in my large tank......not excessive, but definitely back. (another blackout didn't solve it again). In the spare tank it had just disappeared though. It stands in the attic (large windows) with morning sun lite, has organic debris, no sand, no filter, no co2, just some floating plants, pieces of wood and me doing nothing... not even (proper) water changes... The GBA is completely gone, and other algae have not developed. So what I'm wondering is, what did the trick. Why did I lose the BGA? It's not as if my plants are thriving (though they are healthy) in this spare tank, nor that CO2 levels are up......

thx,
Jacco.