why did I mess with a good thing?

john b.

Junior Poster
May 21, 2005
First I should say that I've been using EI for a while now and everything was going great.I was adding the typical ei amounts to my high light 55 gal,1/2 tsp. kno3, 1/8 kh2po4 and 10 mls flourish every other day. I decided to try to lower dosing amounts of macros to half of what I was dosing.Within a week I now have algae growing on some plants. I'm not sure what kind it is though. It is dull gray/green and easily wipes off plant leaves. This stuff is very noticeable especially because it is pearling.
I cleaned it all off the leaves yesterday while running the diatom filter and it was back today.I plan to change the water tomorrow, after cleaning the plants again and will clean the filter also.Then I'll add back the regular amounts of NPK and go back to my original dosing routine.Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice? Thanks,
John

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
Re: why did I mess with a good thing?

It happens John, just learn by it. If you revert to your previous regime it should reset OK in a little while.

I've learnt in the passage of time and the wake of many nightmares that 'if it ain't bust don't try to fix it' :)

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

John, never change more than one thing at a time.
Then do it in stepwise fashion slowly.

Look at plants and algae.

You'll learn much more this way and find the limiting amounts and then be able to raise them up easily.

The excess range is huge, the limiting range is very small.

Regards,
Tom Barr

john b.

Junior Poster
May 21, 2005

Thanks Tom and Ian. After things stabilize again, if I want to try adjusting any levels I'll be sure to do them one at a time and very little instead of just cutting everything in half.I will also be sure to give it at least three weeks to see the results.Live and learn.Thanks,
John