Why Can't You Throttle Back External Pumps?

milesm

Prolific Poster
Oct 18, 2006
here are a couple of pictures of the pump.
View attachment 1627
as you can see, the mj is about level with the base of the tank. i guess you could have it anywhere, but it fits perfectly on the table that the tank sits on.

i made the input with 1/2" pvc, and used vinyl tubing to attach to the pump.
View attachment 1628.

it is quite easy and inexpensive to do.

IMG_0439..jpg

IMG_0442..jpg

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
Leesburg VA USA
milesm;53997 said:
View attachment 1627
as you can see, the mj is about level with the base of the tank. i guess you could have it anywhere, but it fits perfectly on the table that the tank sits on.

View attachment 1628.

Very nice simple setup. I will have to give this setup a try. I wanted to try a closed loop setup but, most versions have to many components to interest me. I like simple.

Thanks for sharing this idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

csmith

That's what I was looking for, if you had the pump before or after the reactor. I'll be getting it set up this weekend, thanks milesm.

milesm;53997 said:
View attachment 1627

View attachment 1628.

milesm

Prolific Poster
Oct 18, 2006
i suppose you could have it after the reactor, as long as the flow into the mj is not restricted.

even though you have a filter on the tank, i'd go with a mj900 (20h) or 1200 (20l). you could always split the return to even out the flow.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
A bit late to this one but....

Overall you'll be better off with the pump ahead of the reactor. You should have a more consistent pressure to the reactor this way, although after the reactor would tend to smash any remaining CO2 bubbles so you might want to try both.

I can confidently recommend the MaxiJet Utility pumps as I managed to accidentally run one of the 5500 ones out of water when I had an overflow fitting crack. There wasn't enough water to flow through the pump but the pump wasn't completely dry. This happened over the weekend so I don't know just how long it was going that way, but it survived that ordeal just fine. I'm not sure on the smaller units for that kind of abuse but the build quality does seem pretty good.

-
S