This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Why alternate between macro and trace?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by davej, Oct 18, 2006.

1. davej

davej Junior Poster

A friend asked me why in EI you dose Macros one day and trace the next.
    Why not all on one day and then skip a day before repeating?
    Wasnt sure, so I thought I would throw this out there.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Hihohiho there

3. Sintei

Sintei Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

is hihohiho shortened for something or simply a friendly "hi"?

4. dschmeh

dschmeh Prolific Poster

Im not sure of the exact answer but i do them seperate because if i add them together it makes the water cloud.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Sorry, I had to email you a PM for that, I had trouble posting here, Greg was probably up to no good working on the site:)

"is hihohiho shortened for something or simply a friendly "hi"?"

Hi, but I could not post what I'd wanted so I just plain gave up till later.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. davej

davej Junior Poster

So I guess I will ask the question again in another way.
    Is there any reason not dose Macros and traces on the same day?
    Would it be bad to dose everything on the same day and then skip a day , and then repeat ?

7. Laith

Laith Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The reason that it was originally suggested to dose them on seperate days was to avoid the risk of the Iron and Phosphate reacting together to form Iron Phosphate and precipitate out of solution, making the water cloudy and at the same time making the Iron less readily available to the plants.

However, given the low concentration levels once in the tank water, I've never noticed a problem with dosing them the same day. I do allow some time between adding the two though.

On the other hand, I wouldn't store concentrated micros in the same container with concentrated macros. In this case you will definitely get precipitation.

8. Sintei

Lifetime Member

Do you dose Macros along with Traces on Waterchanges? Or do you wait with Traces until next day?
    Also, Iron is less readily at high pH. Shouldnt we dose the Traces after a couple of hours of CO2 beeing on, lowering the pH?

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

I typiclly dose traces the following day, some don't, does not matter too much.

As far as pH, that is not so important as alkalinity, that does not change, just like the fish health due to large pH changes etc when we do water changes etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

10. Sintei

Lifetime Member

Could we clarify things?
    Is there gain in adding macros and traces 1 day apart?
    Is there a gain in adding traces in lower pH (as some of the iron gets less readily in >6.5 pH).

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Stop thinking of pH, think about alkaninity in terms of bioavailabilty here.
    KH is stable, pH can be moved with CO2 all over, does higher CO2 levels cause nutrients to be more bioavailable?

That's a different question.

pH alone in our context does not fully address the issue.
    KH or CO2 do.

Lower KH's by default have lower pH's at ambient levels of CO2.

Most folks like to get the most out of their traces, so many do not dose on the same day, some like the very other day routine because it's easier for them to remember to dose.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

12. 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Hmmm....so it's not anything to do with a "feast or famine" scenario? I was thinking that maybe having everything dosed every other day might have adverse affected plant or fish health. I guess I was making too much of an animal analogy, where multiple small meals a day is more efficient than fewer larger meals.

13. Sintei

Lifetime Member

Im only thinking of pH as many people use citric acid to lower pH in their trace-mix. Also in emers plant growing they use low pH with their traces cause iron gets chelated in pH > 6.5 (and some of the iron in pH >4.5).

But you mean with higher alkalinity iron gets less readily and we should instead aim for low alkalinity (and salinity)?

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Plants and many animals are more flexible, snakes etc can go a month etc without food just fine.

Some plants fall into wide ranges as well, but all can handle a 1-3 day window for the most part under higher light etc without too much effect.

Yes, aim for lower KH rather than pH, you will still maybe want to add an acid to maintain the traces , but not in the tank itself, in ther bottle is another matter, I suggest HCL for that rather than citric.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

15. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I've switched from dosing traces every other day to every day. The reason being is that it's just convenient for me to get up in the morning and squirt in the ferts. I can't see any difference in plant growth at all. I still dose macros every other day and that's after I get home from work.