This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

who is who

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by osmar amaral, Feb 10, 2013.

1. osmar amaral

osmar amaral Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:13 AM
    I bought one years ago, 1kg of potassium nitrate and 1 kg of calcium nitrate. Now I can not know who is who, because the two are identical. Can someone help me?

2. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    Dose each stuff in a small waterglass. I guess the KH should after doing be higher in the waterglass with Calciumnitrate.
    ( i am not sure, but I guess so)

3. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The calcium nitrate should weigh more as well. 101 g/mol vs. 164g/mol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    KNO3 is often a tad darker, off white in color.
    Ca(NO3)2 is whiter.

If you add some to water, use a GH test kit, the Ca will increase the GH, whereas K+ nor NO3 will.

5. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Neither raises KH, Calciumnitrate raises GH, test for that. And like Tom said, KNO3 is a little darker, more yellowish.

6. BigFlusher

BigFlusher Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I checked with Biollante.

Bio says taste ‘em, burn ‘em and/or dissolve ‘em in alcohol (drinking kind), but do not bother weighing ‘em.
    According to Bio the Calcium nitrate, probably Calcium nitrate tetrahydrate, 236.15 g/mol as opposed to the anhydrous 164.088 g/mol, which really does not speak to density or in this case bulk density in any case.

Calcium nitrate has a very sharp, bitter taste, opposed to potassium nitrates rather cooling sharp salt-water taste.

Burning potassium nitrate produces a violet or purple(ish) flame. Mixing equal parts table sugar and potassium nitrate helps the combustion. Calcium nitrate produces an intense orange (going on red (if it is yellowish orange it is likely sodium nitrate)). Since it is likely, you have Calcium nitrate tetrahydrate you will need to boil off the water. The easiest test is a propane torch and a little Calcium nitrate on a tile or cinder block, anhydrous Calcium nitrate will burn with an intense orange flame immediately. Calcium nitrate tetrahydrate will bubble, sputter and melt down and then will burn with an intense orange flame.

Calcium nitrate will readily dissolve in ethanol (drinking alcohol); potassium nitrate is not very soluble in ethanol. The easy test is ½-teaspoon (~3-grams) unknown nitrate in ⅛-cup (~30-ml) of vodka, colder the better. If it is Calcium nitrate, it will dissolve quickly potassium nitrate will not dissolve at all or take hours to go into solution (higher the alcohol content the less potassium nitrate in solution.

On a personal note, I would like to say the plant guru time are a hypocritical bunch of a**holes for imposing special rules on Bio.

7. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The bulk densities are 1.0 g/mL and 1.1 g/mL....close enough if you weigh a decent volume, say 250mL or so. He said he bought 1kg of each, which would be like 1000mL of each at least.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I have never imposed any rules on Bio.

Nor would I.

Nor would I approve.

I've stated this several times now.

Unless there's something else going on behind my back I'm unaware of, I'm not clear on what this is about.
    PM me if you have more to say about it.

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As one of the 'hyprocrticial a**holes' on the plant guru team I have no idea what you or Bio are referring to. I have never edited any of Bio's responses nor have I deleted any. As far as I know there is no conspiracy to block or edit him in any way.

He can post all he wants. He chooses to use PM and not participate IMO.

I think you need to get more than 1 side to a story before resorting to personal attacks.

Later.

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I've made it crystal clear that is the policy for everyone here.
    Personally, I enjoy the post Biollante makes, so do most people I would say.
    I've never edited anyone's post other than spam(which was deleted the user banned).
    I've banned about 2-3 people since the site has been up so that's one every 2-3 years.

You have to be a real douche bag to get banned here. Why? Because I've been sued, threatened, had things made a federal case(yes, literally) and had my own post edited on other web sites, I sure as Hades ain't doing it here to anyone.

11. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Listed density for Ca(NO3)2 2.5 g/cm3
    listed density for Ca(NO3)2-4H2O is 1.82 g/cm3

Listed density for KNO3 is 2.11 g/cm3

The apparent bulk density I calculated in 20 reps was 1.38 g/cm3
    Ca(NO3)2-4H2O and 1.35 g/cm3 for KNO3. based on 2 bags respectively from aquariumfertilizer.com that I have been using for the last couple of years.

I would add another alternate method; you should be able to get 3.75 times as much calcium nitrate into 100-ml of distilled water as KNO3 (144 vs 38.3).

As to the plant guru thing, I am with Bio and see no reason for the treatment.

#11 DaBub, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  12. mrkookm

mrkookm Guest

Local Time:
    9:13 PM
    ^
    This is the simple and straightforward approach of figuring out the 2.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

13. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Plant Guru Team and any others that are permitted to delete, edit, alter, block, mock

Hi,

Referencing posts #6, #8, #9, #10 and #11 I appreciate the comments but this is an issue for the Plant Guru Team and any others that are permitted to delete, edit, alter, block, mock and coerce members that hold views contrary to their own and are unable to openly debate the merits of their positions.
    :fatigue:

I have posted the thread I Protest The Rules and Restraints Placed on My Posts to keep from interrupting this thread any further.
    :)

This thread who is who is one I would love to publically join, but the requirement that I only address the thread title
    :( and restricts me from use of any other information, :( expressly including information provided by the original poster, in the original post, is to say the least, limiting! :rolleyes: :miserable:

This thread provides all kinds of opportunity… Sheesh, the concept of molar weight and density (not really connected) versus bulk density in identifying fertilizers, which is the best, which is the most fun... You guys are killing me.
    :fatigue:

Biollante

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:

You are WELCOMED to go hog wild without any reservations. (As one of the Admin's here..........I get to say hillbilly sayings every so often)

15. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Trying Not to Press My Luck...

Hi,

Okay, I will try to be innocuous
    :eek: and submit that I think the easiest, cheapest way to tell KNO[SUB]3[/SUB] from Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB] is to lick the end of your index finger, stick said finger in the unknown sample and taste.

• The Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB] will have a much (as in whole bunch:eek:) sharper, bitter taste.
    • Comparatively KNO[SUB]3[/SUB] is milder, subdued, salty water kind of taste.
      • Trust me, once you have sampled both there will be no doubt in your mind. :D

For the squeamish,
    :rolleyes: DaBub’s suggestion about solubility is, like me cheap and easy.

• 20-ml (~4-teaspoons) of water at room temperature in a container
    • Stir 10-grams (call it 1½-teaspoon) of one of the unknown samples into the water.
      • If all of the sample dissolves (within a minute or so) it is Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB] (a little debris on the bottom of container is okay).
      • If it all doesn’t fully dissolve (within a minute or so) it is KNO[SUB]3[/SUB].
    :cool:
    Biollante

16. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    See? That's not too hard, hehe.