This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Whitish Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Steven, May 17, 2010.

1. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:35 PM
    Yes

Hi Dan,

If the reply is germane to Steven’s situation replying here would be fine. If not then over in the other thread is fine, or both would not hurt if it constitutes advice to Steven and advances the conversation. :)

ThingWhatSpawnedTheLoudCreature aka Mom, has stated her position, I understand it well enough, and since we inherited her :eek: I can quiz her further if necessary.

Posting to the other thread would be nice, since there is something I would like to post, :eek: but I want to avoid another double post. Though I doubt I will change my mind about the advice to Steven, am going to have to retract some of what I have said, so that should make you happy.

Biollante

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The other thread works then. I still can't believe your 5w jbj worked; I didn't even think it would. I thought Steven would have to be running some other kind of 5w sterilizer for it to do anything.

The only thing I'd have to leave here is that I can't see a reason to differentiate between what's being killed, so long as the UV sterilizer is effective. That's a big IF right now because of unknowns in efficiencies both ways, and part of why the spreadsheet is going together. Slowing the growth in the column may not be a bad thing, and ultimately it's a question of need for aesthetic. Are there times where it may be worth $60-$200 to have at least a prettier tank on demand? In some cases, absolutely. In others... nope.

The if's why's and how's can go over to the other thread.

#42 Philosophos, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Photo Shoot---Maybe

Hi Dan,

I think you hit on precisely the aesthetics part of the argument versus what is going on in “real-time.” :)

I am not opposed to the use of UV-sterilizers per se I use them routinely. The ThingWhatSpawnedTheLoudCreature uses her JBL on timer 4-hours a day. :eek:

Now that I have seen what a small hobbyist UV-sterilizer can accomplish it reinforces my belief that these devices should not be used during an event, an event I would term a “cycling” event.

ThingWhatSpawnedTheLoudCreature likewise was not arguing against the use of the device generally, but in the particular case, Steven described. Should Steven or anyone else choose to follow other advice or simply reject the advice, that is their choice and we wish them well. :D

I suppose that if Practical Fish Keeping were on their way to do a photo spread, I might agree the short-term aesthetics argument might change my mind. :cool:

Biollante

4. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Water starts to clear itself after using UV Sterilizer for about a months (the bulb got crushed out unnoticed for about 2 weeks).

The other accident just happened, since I use the UV Sterilizer, I feed my CO2 via glass diffuser instead of my usual external reactor and put a small powerhead on top of the glass diffuser to help distribute the CO2 evenly. Today when I got home I noticed that my small powerhead got loose from its place and turned downward flushing straight my AS Aquasoil, what a disaster, the whole tank turned cloudy again.

Some question please :
    - Do I need to do something?
    - What will trigger something to happen?
    - Have I just disturbed the substrate?

#44 Steven, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010