Which method would you chose?

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
I have two methods that I can chose from for CO2 injection I’m contemplating using. The first method is the Cal Aqua inline diffuser.

cal.jpg

cal1.jpg

cal2.jpg

The second method is the Eheim compact+ marine 1103 Pump. This is what it looks like.

eheim-marine.jpg

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
The actual thread can be seen here. Unfortunately I'm not sure which method would be less problematic. Any thoughts.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, cleaning that in line Cal Lab's is going to a PITA.
The in line pump is going to be maintenance free.
It'll also produce much finer microbubbles.

I'd go with the pump personally.

Regards
Tom Barr

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Thanks for the reply Tom. I was a bit concerned with the flow going into the tank from the filter (2217) considering I only have a 60p ADA about 18 gallons but a heavily planted tank would reduce the flow considerably.

If need be, I can just lengthen the hose of the filter to reduce flow for now and adjust the pumps flow.

B

Brian20

you say that you can control the flow.

I think that the cal aqua is better if you going to clean it weekly but if you can put two valves in line and the cal aqua in between. clean it with clorine.

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Brian20;39265 said:
you say that you can control the flow.

I think that the cal aqua is better if you going to clean it weekly but if you can put two valves in line and the cal aqua in between. clean it with clorine.

Brian, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to have to clean out a diffuser on a weekly basis. If by using the pump, I do not have to clean it as I would the cal aqua, then that's the direction I'll be looking to go.

I also won't have to worry so much about the CO2 level dropping because of a gradually clogging diffuser.

The flow controller is on the side of the pump, look at the pic above ^^

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You might clean the diffuser once a month perhaps, not weekly, but the pump method, not at all.

You can make a loop off the Ehiem return

Regards,
Tom Barr

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Tom Barr;39269 said:
You can make a loop off the Ehiem return

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom, exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately I only have the Eheim 2217 as a filter. I know its too much filter, current wise not over-filtration, but I'll use it for now and try to tame it.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
dantra;39270 said:
Tom, exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately I only have the Eheim 2217 as a filter. I know its too much filter, current wise not over-filtration, but I'll use it for now and try to tame it.

Hi--That is a lot of filtration, not to mention pump, but so what, as long as you are planning to use it, split the return.:)

Biollante

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Biollante;39271 said:
Hi--That is a lot of filtration, not to mention pump, but so what, as long as you are planning to use it, split the return.:)

Biollante

Exactly what I plan on doing ;)