Which Hydor Koralia pump for 55 g.

MythT

Junior Poster
Feb 22, 2008
Meadville, PA
I have a 55 g. planted aquarium (injecting CO2) with a Rena filstar XP3 canister filter thats rated to flow at 350 gph. Also have a uv sterilizer running with a Maxijet 600 (rated flow of 160 gph). I am considering purchasing a Hydor Koralia to increase water circulation but not sure if this would be a good addition. Also, I am unsure what would be too much.
They are rated as follows:

Koralia Nano 240 GPH
Koralia 1 400 GPH
Koralia 2 600 GPH
Koralia 3 850 GPH

I'm thinking, probably the Koralia 1 at 400 GPH might be enough to handle most dead zones and hopefully not too much to upset fish and blow the plants way over. The problem is that I don't have any experience with anything other than traditional powerheads/pumps and must order online and want to save any added expense of return shipping.

Any opinions or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Well Planted Plants?

I really don't see a bad choice, I really like the Koralias, they move water with far less laminar flow more volume than speed (cut me some slack on the terminology).:eek:

You seem to have adequate water turnover, assuming the flow is essentially from one end to the other (an uphill side if you will).

Given your flow I would tend to opt for the smaller, though I bought a bunch a while back, on sale and ended up with the larger ones just based on the small price difference.

Unless you have fish that have some known (as in well documented) need for slow water, the fish are not likely to be affected and likely even appreciate the extra flow. As long your plants are, well, well planted, the only problem with a high flow powerhead is turbulence that can disrupt proper circulation.

Biollante

cggorman

Prolific Poster
May 9, 2009
I'm running an XP3 alongside a Koralia 1 in my 70 gal. It's a nice little circulator and you can change the flow characteristics by using the included "fish guard". Without, it creates a very gentle and broad flow. With, it's more comparable to a typical powerhead, though still more broad.

My main issue with them was the size. Having run this guy for a while now, I would go back and do two or three nanos instead. Costs more overall, but I would get better directional control and they're less visible.

MythT

Junior Poster
Feb 22, 2008
Meadville, PA
I've been researching what others had to say about the Koralias on the forums and after reading many posts, quite a few by Hoppy, I started to lean towards the Koralia 2.

Of course, after reading the previous two replies, I am now thinking about maybe getting 2 Nanos instead. I can completely relate to & understand the argument about size of equipment and visibility in the aquarium.

I'm feeling really fickled right now and will probably have to sleep on it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't part with my money easily.:eek:

Anymore opinions out there?

MythT

Junior Poster
Feb 22, 2008
Meadville, PA
Thanks all for the help!

I've decided to compromise in the middle and will order a single Koralia 1. I made this decision partly based on the fact that the Koralia 2 at 2-7/8" x 5-7/8" seems rather large to me. That's almost as large as my hairdryer!:eek: Actually, even the Koralia 1 seems large at 2-1/4" x 5" but I think a single pump at this time will fit my budget better than 2 nanos. I want to be sure to get some good water circulation at a price I can afford.

Seeing as how this is my first Koralia, there's a possibility that my conscience may allow me to buy 1 or 2 additional Koralias at a later date after I attain some kind of familiarity with at least one. Also... after I get some extra hours at work and some extra money in my pocket.

The Rockster

Guru Class Expert
Aug 10, 2007
South Florida
MythT;39748 said:
I have a 55 g. planted aquarium (injecting CO2) with a Rena filstar XP3 canister filter thats rated to flow at 350 gph. Also have a uv sterilizer running with a Maxijet 600 (rated flow of 160 gph). I am considering purchasing a Hydor Koralia to increase water circulation but not sure if this would be a good addition. Also, I am unsure what would be too much.
They are rated as follows:

Koralia Nano 240 GPH
Koralia 1 400 GPH
Koralia 2 600 GPH
Koralia 3 850 GPH

I'm thinking, probably the Koralia 1 at 400 GPH might be enough to handle most dead zones and hopefully not too much to upset fish and blow the plants way over. The problem is that I don't have any experience with anything other than traditional powerheads/pumps and must order online and want to save any added expense of return shipping.
Any opinions or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I too am purchasing Hydor Koralia powerheads. Foster & Smith (online has 40 percent off) has a 60 day return period. At the time of purchase we found them cheaper at Marine Depot, but we wanted to be able to return them, if they weren't strong enough. F&S, has an EXCELLENT customer service, and return policy.

Also, we too, weren't sure which size to get. So we asked around, finally calling F&S. They gave us the Hydor US customer service phone number. We got different opinions from everyone. So we ordered and got the #1s (at 20 percent off). After a week, we didn't think they were circulating past the plants. Then we were notified that F&S, has a new SUMMER SALE, with the p/heads at 40 percent off. So we sent back the #1s and reordered the #2s and still got money back. We are now awaiting arrival of the bigger powerheads(which when installed are behind objects and not visible.)

Actually this concurs with what the Hydor rep said, and others...........get the next size stronger than you need...........Also we can get a dimmer switch at Home Depot, (for lamps)..........and dial down the circulation.
Hope this helps some.

rich815

Guru Class Expert
Jun 26, 2008
Albany, California
The Rockster;39789 said:
.....Also we can get a dimmer switch at Home Depot, (for lamps)..........and dial down the circulation.
Hope this helps some.

I read somewhere on another forum that the standard Koralias will not work in that way. They have a different series that will though and are made for using a variable controller. Have you actually done that with the standard ones?

In my 72 gal I first got a 1 and it was ok, but not really enough. I then jumped to a 3 because I got one used cheap and it turned my 72 gal into a blender and the plants were coming up and the fish blown about and looked none to happy. I gave the 3 to a friend who uses it in his reef tank now. I now have a 2 and it's a good middle ground for my size tank, I think.