This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Which Hydor Koralia for flow?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gilles, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:32 AM
    I am thinking about buying a set of Hydor Koralias. Why a set? So i can have flow at 2 positions which is better then one (in my eyes).

Options are:
    Hydor Koralia Nano 1: 900 liter/hour (small footprint of 2.4")
    Hydor Koralia Nano 2: 1600 liter/hour (small footprint of 2.4")
    Hydor Evolution 2800: 2800 liter/hour
    Hydor Evolution 4000: 4000 liter/hour

So:
    - i am doubting between the first 3.
    - i will buy 2 of them.
    - right now, i can only mount them on the front window facing backwards (or with an angle) unless i do some modification on my tank.

p.s. i have shrimp and don't want a massacre in my tank :)

Tips?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gilles,

I used two koralia 2's (not sure what that translates to in the new evolution models) within my 37 gallon tank prior to upgrading the filter, for flow. They worked well. I found that the slots where the water is sucked in doesn't tend to be a problem with shrimp. My MP-10 slots were twice as wide and whacked some shrimp before I placed the foam screen on the outside. I also found that the "cover", which I don't think the evolution models have, reduced and narrowed the flow. I preferred to run mine without the end covers.

I think it depends on your goals for the pumps. If you are trying to help water move through some thicker planting areas, I think the nanos would do well. If you are looking to improve general broad flow I would choose the evolutions. Maybe one evolution and one nano. That might give the most flexibility.

How big is the tank?

3. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    180cm wide and 70cm deep.
    I am poundering about going for 2x the 2800 (750 gph)