This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Which fixture for 5' long tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by makutaku, Nov 12, 2012.

1. makutaku

makutaku Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:09 AM
    The tank is 60" x 24" x 20", rimless, about 125 gallon.

I plan to suspend the fixture at least 12" above the tank and I'd like to have enough PAR to grow anything fast if I wanted to.

My budget is about $600 and I am undecided between these two models:

ATI 60 Inch 4x80W SunPower T5HO High-Output Fixture $480 (58.5"L x 9.4"W x 2.1"H)
    ATI 48 Inch 6x54W SunPower T5HO High-Output Fixture $530 (47.0"L x 13.4"W x 2.1"H)

Which one would you recommend ? I am also open to other suggestions.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    How about the 48" ATI sunpower 8x39w if there is one? Better spread and will easily provide enough PAR. Will be a little less on the ends of course but still plenty to grow any carpet..

I would most likely go for the wider fixture personally. I think at your suggested height you will be fine with a 48" model....

3. makutaku

makutaku Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Gerryd! They do have 48" with 8 bulbs.

Actually, If I yield to the temptation of more PAR, I am still undecided with the following two other choices:

1) ATI 48 Inch 8x54W SunPower T5HO - $625 (47.0" x 17.4" x 2.1")

2) ATI 60 Inch 6x80W SunPower T5HO - $600 (58.5" x 13.4" x 2.1")

If I go with option 2, I get even more light and stay within budget. My concern, though, is how much light would leak from left and right. If there would be too much leaking then I would prefer option 1, your suggestion.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Perhaps this will help...

I have a 72" x 36" x 20" lxwxh 220 gal tank powered by TWIN 36" 8x39w ATI. For 2-3 months one of them was in the shop and I simply centered the single unit. So, this means that there were 18" at the ends that were uncovered by the fixture.

Yet, using 90% power I was able to grow anything in these areas, albeit more slowly due to lower PAR.

Again using two units, I am at 45% max power....

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I use one of the Tek 4' models. I'm pretty much using only the two furthest bulbs on it. 4 x 54 is a bit overkill and I need to work on getting my solenoid fixed. That said, I'm not having too much trouble growing stuff. Admittedly if I bothered to keep up on maintenance and everything else I'd be doing a lot better but I don't think any of my issues are for lack of light. With all 4 bulbs on I can grow algae like nobody's business, plus the other plants grow too. ;)

-
    S